I have a question about building a tensile tester

In summary: The cheapest hydraulic press's load frame maxes out at around 5 million pounds. If your component's max load is significantly lower, you might be able to get by with a smaller press. However, if your component's max load is significantly higher, you would need a press that can handle that much weight.
christyu
For the sake of knowledge, I'd like to ask few questions.

Although not now, I'm thinking of building my own cheap tensile testing machine that isn't used for testing on ones with such heavy loads like commercial machine.

1. For the uper body, I'm just planning to start by connecting with extrusions but when buliding the machines, what materials should each parts be made out of to keep the machine stable? Could I get detailed information of why such materials should be chosen?

2. Any other things I need to consider when approaching such project?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Decide what maximum load you wish to be able to apply, then analyze the structure subject to that load. It must not deform plastically, and it must not fail (fracture). You will also probably want to limit the deflection, so decide what you will allow and check that also.

Dr.D said:
Decide what maximum load you wish to be able to apply, then analyze the structure subject to that load. It must not deform plastically, and it must not fail (fracture). You will also probably want to limit the deflection, so decide what you will allow and check that also.
what about material? Aluminum, steel...etc?

It is not possible to make a choice of materials until you specify a max load and begin to analyze. If the max load is small enough, plastic spoons might provide sufficient strength. If the max load is extremely high, you may have to really scratch to find a material that will work. The max load is an essential parameter.

Most testing machines are rated in terms of their max load. Thus a particular machine might be rated at 2 million pounds, indicating that the frame and the power system are adequate to apply that load.

Why would you want to begin with a material selection up front?

Likes berkeman
what range of loads? I built one using an inexpensive hydraulic press and a load cell.

RogueOne said:
what range of loads? I built one using an inexpensive hydraulic press and a load cell.

That would indicate that the maximum load for RogueOne's tester is whatever the hydraulics can deliver, unless of course the load cell is crushed or the frame collapses. The whole idea of design is to match strength in all the components, so that no part is undersized and no part is radically oversized and too expensive.

Dr.D said:
That would indicate that the maximum load for RogueOne's tester is whatever the hydraulics can deliver, unless of course the load cell is crushed or the frame collapses. The whole idea of design is to match strength in all the components, so that no part is undersized and no part is radically oversized and too expensive.

Its also important to know min/max loads so that you can correctly size your load cell and hydraulic jack. Assuming the load cell data would be digitized, you want the min/max load cell voltage to fit as closely to the ADC's min/max voltage input range as you can make it.

I don't think that the frame's size is going to be the only major factor in cost for a project like this. Whether or not you can get something off-the-shelf that will suffice for a load frame will be a major factor as well.

You can get a hydraulic press from harbor freight for $100. If your component's maximum load is far less than the cheapest hydraulic press' load frame's maximum load, would it actually be cheaper to build a smaller hydraulic press? My guess is that it would not be cheaper to custom build one.

1. What is a tensile tester and how does it work?

A tensile tester is a machine used to determine the mechanical properties of materials. It works by applying a tensile force to a sample and measuring the resulting deformation and stress. This allows scientists to understand how materials behave under tension and determine their strength and elasticity.

2. What is the purpose of a tensile tester?

The purpose of a tensile tester is to provide valuable information about the mechanical properties of materials. This information is essential for designing and testing materials used in various industries such as construction, manufacturing, and aerospace. Tensile testing can also help identify potential weaknesses or defects in materials.

3. What factors should be considered when building a tensile tester?

When building a tensile tester, there are several factors to consider. These include the type of materials that will be tested, the desired force and deformation range, the accuracy and precision required, and the available budget. It is also important to ensure the machine is built to meet safety standards and can be easily maintained and calibrated.

4. Can a tensile tester be customized for specific testing needs?

Yes, a tensile tester can be customized to meet specific testing needs. This can include modifying the machine's design, adding or upgrading components such as load cells and grips, and incorporating specialized software for data analysis. It is important to consult with experts and follow industry standards when customizing a tensile tester.

5. How can I ensure accurate and reliable results from a tensile tester?

To ensure accurate and reliable results from a tensile tester, it is important to follow proper testing procedures, use high-quality materials and equipment, and regularly calibrate and maintain the machine. It is also crucial to have a thorough understanding of the testing standards and methods being used. Additionally, conducting multiple tests and analyzing the data can help identify any potential errors or inconsistencies.