I have a question Conerning firearms.

• Thread starter Yolomanolo
  • Start date
In summary, the lighter firing pin will move faster, but will not carry more momentum than the first.
Yolomanolo
Let me start by saying I have never taken a physics course, but will be soon. My question concerns firearms, so I hope no one is too sensitive when it comes to this subject, and if you are, I apologize. I recently replaced the spring in my firearm that moves the firing pin, from a 5.5 pound spring to a 4 pound spring. This in conjunction with a couple other parts is supposed to reduce the amount of forced required to fully pull the trigger. But i have been told that the lighter spring can sometimes not apply enough force to the primer of a bullet and therefor not fire the weapon. My question is, would a lighter firing pin help to compensate for the lighter spring? If a spring under tension first moves an object of a certain weight and that object strikes a surface, but then moves another object that weights about 60% less to strike the same surface, is more force applied to the surface using the lighter object? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Although the lighter firing pin will move faster, it will not carry more momentum than the first. Ultimately, your finger needs to supply the energy require to detonate the explosives within the bullet. That energy is dependent on how far you must pull the trigger (probably not something changeable) and the force (which you specified in pounds).

KingNothing said:
No. Although the lighter firing pin will move faster, it will not carry more momentum than the first. Ultimately, your finger needs to supply the energy require to detonate the explosives within the bullet. That energy is dependent on how far you must pull the trigger (probably not something changeable) and the force (which you specified in pounds).

It will not carry more momentum, but doesn't the added speed make up for some of the lack of weight? If someone throws a ball at a wall and then throws a ball 1 ounce lighter at that wall at a faster speed, will the lighter ball always exert less pressure on said wall?

Yolomanolo said:
It will not carry more momentum, but doesn't the added speed make up for some of the lack of weight?

Yes, but the speed will increase proportionally to the reduction in weight, so it really won't have an effect as a whole.

KingNothing said:
Yes, but the speed will increase proportionally to the reduction in weight, so it really won't have an effect as a whole.

ahhh. well thank you for your help.

I'm not seeing how the spring for the firing pin in a firearm affects the required pull on the trigger. Once the weapon is "cocked", does the spring do anything else other than apply a force on the pin? (Assuming that this isn't a revolver of course)

Drakkith said:
I'm not seeing how the spring for the firing pin in a firearm affects the required pull on the trigger. Once the weapon is "cocked", does the spring do anything else other than apply a force on the pin? (Assuming that this isn't a revolver of course)

It does depend on the type of pistol, if it is a double action semi or a striker fired pistol of the Glock type pulling the trigger cocks the pistol against the force of the firing pin. In a single action 1911 this is not the case.

Drakkith said:

No, a Glock pistol actually. The combination of a 3.5 lb connector and a 4 lb firing pin spring reduces the trigger pull significantly. They are originally a 5.5 lb spring and a 5.5 lb connector. The 3.5 connector reduces pull because the angle at which the opposing metal component slides against the connector is not as sharp, so it takes less pressure on the trigger to get the metal components to release. As for the firing pin spring, I think its a matter of tension. If you have a stronger spring under tension, and you have a "trip" mechanism in place, it takes more work to trip that spring under tension than it would a spring that is much weaker because more pressure is being put on the "trip" mechanism. Honestly I am not 100% sure why it works in conjunction with the connector so well, but you do notice a bigger difference in pull when BOTH are in the weapon as opposed to just the 3.5 lb connector.

Ah ok. I can see that.

Quite often, the trigger-pull of an older weapon can be lightened by polishing the sear, so that there is less friction involved in working the mechanics of the pistol. No need to change springs, no need to make other modifications.

I polish too actually. Anywhere there is steel to steel contact i try to get close to a mirror shine using a brass brush on a dremel tool.

You are not qualified to service your firearm. The physics questions are fun but your gun is meant to protect your life and possibly the lives of others. A gunsmith or the factory knows what should and should not be done to keep your gun working.

You owe it to yourself and the rest of us to make sure your gun absolutely will fire when you pull the trigger.

Antiphon said:
You are not qualified to service your firearm. The physics questions are fun but your gun is meant to protect your life and possibly the lives of others. A gunsmith or the factory knows what should and should not be done to keep your gun working.

You owe it to yourself and the rest of us to make sure your gun absolutely will fire when you pull the trigger.
Actually, you have no idea who on this forum is qualified to service a firearm, unless you are a professional armorer and are familiar with our skills. Firearms are not some mysterious entities. They are relatively simple mechanical devices. Making crude modifications is a no-go, but there are many target shooters like myself that know how to polish sears while keeping the surfaces flat (pretty important). A good friend of mine is a whiz at modding Ruger Model 1 single-shot rifles for target shooting. If you are lucky enough to be competing with one of the tack-driving .38-55s that he has tuned up over the years, you have a fantastic tool in your hands.

turbo-1 said:
Actually, you have no idea who on this forum is qualified to service a firearm, unless you are a professional armorer and are familiar with our skills.

The OP is not qualified or he wouldn't have asked the question here.

Well, perhaps after hearing our input, he is now qualified.

KingNothing said:
Well, perhaps after hearing our input, he is now qualified.
Or at least better-informed. ;-)

Antiphon said:

I am not a mechanic either, but I change my own oil and attend to flat tires by myself. I then drive that 2,000 pound weapon 75 miles per hour down the highway five days a week to work, with full confidence that I serviced my vehicle appropriately. Who's to say this isn't one of many firearms in my collection? Who's to say this isn't a range only weapon? How many stovepipes, jams, light primer strikes, broken firing pins, ejection problems, failure to feeds (or any of 100 different problems) have occurred from box to shooter without any modifications? Not to mention the chance of a bad primer or round. Do I fully trust this weapon with these changes? No. I wouldn't be trying to get information if I did. But you seem to think I have this gun glued to my hand. I came to this forum looking for help, and have received some, but I didn't expect to be scolded by someone who has provided absolutely nothing of value to this conversation. You seem to be trying to make me feel like a child. I find the way you stuck your head into this thread offensive. And while I fully respect human life, carrying a firearm does not automatically put me under any obligations. Don't presume to think I owe you anything.

Related to I have a question Conerning firearms.

1. What are the different types of firearms?

There are three main categories of firearms: handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Handguns are typically small and can be fired with one hand, while rifles and shotguns are larger and require both hands to operate. Within these categories, there are also subtypes such as semi-automatic, bolt-action, and pump-action.

2. How do firearms work?

Firearms work by using the energy from an explosive propellant to fire a projectile (bullet) out of the barrel. When the trigger is pulled, a firing pin strikes a primer in the cartridge, causing a small explosion that ignites the propellant and creates gas pressure. This pressure forces the bullet out of the barrel and towards the target.

3. What safety precautions should I take when handling a firearm?

Always treat a firearm as if it is loaded, even if you believe it is not. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and always point the firearm in a safe direction. Also, be sure to wear proper eye and ear protection when shooting and store firearms unloaded and locked away from children and unauthorized users.

4. How do I properly clean and maintain a firearm?

To clean a firearm, first make sure it is unloaded and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Generally, this involves disassembling the firearm, using a cleaning solvent to remove residue, and lubricating moving parts. It is important to regularly clean and maintain firearms to ensure safe and reliable operation.

5. What are the laws and regulations surrounding firearms?

The laws and regulations surrounding firearms vary by country and state. In general, individuals must be of a certain age and pass a background check to legally purchase and possess firearms. There may also be restrictions on the types of firearms and accessories that are allowed. It is important to research and comply with all applicable laws and regulations when owning and using firearms.