I have a question regarding temperature and the kinetic energy of molecules

seonjunyoo
Does the high temperature increase the kinetic energy of molecules or atoms, or does the high kinetic energy of atoms or molecules increase the temperature ?

I'm so curious about this. Which concept is more accurate between the two

Physics news on Phys.org
A drop of liquid helium flying through intergalactic space at 0.6 c has a lot of KE, but has low temperature.

seonjunyoo said:
Does the high temperature increase the kinetic energy of molecules or atoms, or does the high kinetic energy of atoms or molecules increase the temperature ?

I'm so curious about this. Which concept is more accurate between the two
Temperature and kinetic energy are not actually the same thing. The thermal energy of an object relates to the random, internal motions in the object. The particles will have a range of velocities about a mean velocity (which is the velocity of the Centre of Mass of the object) it's the relative velocities of the particles which tells you that proportion of the kinetic energy corresponding to temperature. The velocity of the CM of the object accounts for the (translational) kinetic energy of the whole thing.

In the case of moving hot gases, it may not be obvious where one begins and the other ends - which is what the thermodynamics of steam engines and turbines is about: where microscoic and macroscopic ideas come together. Heat engines start with molecular motion and deliver macroscopic motion. Your original question needs modification to take this into account.