I have a real simple question about the Pythagoras theorem

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between the sine and cosine functions and the Pythagorean theorem. It is mentioned that the sine and cosine functions are defined for a right triangle and that there is a generalization for two angles that follows a specific pattern. The original question is clarified and it is stated that the formula for the Pythagorean theorem still holds, but the opposite and adjacent sides switch roles.
rgtr
Homework Statement
There are 2 angles c and d. If I pick angle d instead of angle c. Does opposite become adjacent and adjacent becomes opposite?
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/BGH/sincos.html
Relevant Equations
## tan(d) = \frac o a ##
Here is the link.
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/BGH/sincos.html

Sorry just a little rusty on Pythagoras theorem.

I mean the formula still holds but in order to find the opposite and the adjacent the opposite becomes the adjacent and vice versa .

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Thanks.

Likes DaveE
@rgtr, your question has nothing to do the theorem of Pythagoras, which involves the two sides of a right triangle and the hypotenuse. It doesn't distinguish between the two sides.
What you're asking about is more relevant to how the sine and cosine functions are defined for a right triangle.

Likes Delta2, SammyS and hutchphd
Sorry I was in school a few years ago. I just remember learning them all together.

Last edited:
if the angles c and d are the two angles (besides the right angle) of a right triangle then yes it is as you say.

A generalization of your observation is that for two angles ##x## and ##y## such that ##x=\frac{\pi}{2}-y## it holds that $$\tan x=\frac{1}{\tan y}$$

Likes Lnewqban and docnet

1. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. Who discovered the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras, although there is evidence that the Babylonians and Indians also knew about the concept before him.

3. How is the Pythagorean Theorem used?

The Pythagorean Theorem is used to find the length of a side in a right triangle when the lengths of the other two sides are known. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics to calculate distances and solve problems involving right triangles.

4. What is the formula for the Pythagorean Theorem?

The formula for the Pythagorean Theorem is a² + b² = c², where a and b are the lengths of the shorter sides of the triangle and c is the length of the hypotenuse.

5. Can the Pythagorean Theorem be used in non-right triangles?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles. For non-right triangles, other laws such as the Law of Cosines and the Law of Sines are used to calculate side lengths and angles.