Conditional probability reasoning problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a product being working or damaged under certain conditions of being approved or disapproved by a test. The Bayes theorem is used to calculate the probability of a working product being thrown away, which is found to be 33%. However, this does not necessarily mean that a large number of working products are being discarded.
diredragon

Homework Statement

Out of all the products a company makes 2% is damaged. During the routine control of the products, the products are put to a test which discovers the damaged ones in 99% of the cases. In 1% however it approves the damaged item as a working one and vice versa. Find the probability that the product is working under the condition that it was disapproved by the test and the probability of the product which is damaged but under the condition that it was approved by the test.
See the image below:
scheme.png

Test A = Test Approved
Test B = Test Disapproved

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
The solution to this problem comes rather un-intuitively to me.
I am looking for ##P(W/T_D)## (working under the condition that it is disapproved) and
##P(D/T_A)## (damaged under the condition that it is approved).
The textbook solution does so in this way:
##P(D) = 2/100##
##P(W) = 98/100##
##P(T_D/D) = 99/100## (test disapproved under the condition that its damaged)
##P(T_A/D) = 1/100##
##P(T_D/W) = 1/100##
##P(T_A/W) = 99/100##
They used the Bayes theorem here stating:
##P(W/T_D) = \frac{P(T_D/W)P(W)}{P(T_D)} = \frac{P(T_D/W)P(W)}{P(T_D/W)P(W) + P(T_D/D)P(D)} = 0.33## which which I am not sure what says. That 33% of the working products get thrown away?
Much reasonable seems a simple answer as:
##\frac{98}{100}*\frac{1/100} = 0.0098## which would tell us that out of all the products the working discarder ones are a small fraction rather than a massive 33%.
What am i missing? Am i not understanding the question because the order of which it says by the condition must make some difference but i don't see it.

Attachments

• scheme.png
    scheme.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
diredragon said:
That 33% of the working products get thrown away?
No, that would be ##P(T_D|W)##, i.e., the probability to throw away the product if it is working. What you have is ##P(W|T_D)##, the probability that a thrown away product is actually working. Those are different probabilities.

Likes diredragon
Orodruin said:
No, that would be ##P(T_D|W)##, i.e., the probability to throw away the product if it is working. What you have is ##P(W|T_D)##, the probability that a thrown away product is actually working. Those are different probabilities.
Right, so ##P(T_D|W)## being the probability that the product will be thrown away if it is working is small ##1/100## because that's how the test was created. On the other side ##P(W|T_D)## is the probability of the thrown away product working meaning all I'm observing is a bunch of thrown away products and since the working products made are much more present than the damaged ones in the manufacturing even though the test is rigorous they will make a significant percent of the thrown away products because of the vast differences in working/damaged products made in the start. Did i get this right?

Yes, it tells you that a third of the thrown products are actually working. But the number of thrown away products is not that large.

Likes diredragon
Orodruin said:
Yes, it tells you that a third of the thrown products are actually working. But the number of thrown away products is not that large.
Amazing! Thanks

1. What is conditional probability reasoning?

Conditional probability reasoning is a type of mathematical reasoning that involves calculating the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already happened.

2. How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated by dividing the probability of the two events occurring together by the probability of the first event occurring alone.

3. What is the difference between conditional probability and regular probability?

The main difference between conditional probability and regular probability is that conditional probability takes into account the information about a related event, while regular probability does not consider any prior events.

4. What are some real-life examples of conditional probability reasoning?

Some examples of conditional probability reasoning in everyday life include predicting the likelihood of a person having a certain disease given their age, or the probability of a car accident occurring based on the weather conditions.

5. How can conditional probability reasoning be used in scientific research?

Conditional probability reasoning is a valuable tool in scientific research as it can help researchers analyze data and make predictions based on related events. It is often used in fields such as epidemiology, genetics, and artificial intelligence.