I have complied a list of textbooks about Trig, Algebra, Etc

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of self-teaching Trigonometry and preparing for calculus. The individual has compiled a list of books and is seeking recommendations and opinions on them. The expert suggests sticking to a few primary sources and consulting others as needed, and provides their thoughts on each book. They also mention additional online resources for learning Trigonometry.
Frajz
I am planning to self-teach myself Trigonometry and all the other required fields before jumping into calculus. I have compiled a list of books that I have researched and would like your opinions and recommendations.

Books:
Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell: Geometry, Algebra, Trigonometry by George F Simmons
Divine Proportions: Rational Trigonometry to Universal Geometry by NJ Wildberger
Precalculus With Unit Circle Trigonometry by David Cohen
Trigonometry by Gelfand and Saul

Others:
http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321466209/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471370347/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070281874/?tag=pfamazon01-20
http://www.springer.com/us/book/9780387746463
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...CQm9qa5ta_JQQcMSA&sig2=twAF3kON_9RbnXzcFEV1Sg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You probably want to pare down the list a bit, at least as primary study material, and only use others if perhaps you get stuck. (Though of course you can always ask here).

The Wilderberger book isn't going to help you much and will probably get you confused at this point. He's proposing a lot of alternative ways of doing trig that might be of interest down the line, but which I think will generally obscure things. It's also expensive as hell. So just scratch that one off your list.

As for the others, i don't have personal experience with them but reviews can be helpful.

Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell: Geometry, Algebra, Trigonometry by George F Simmons

I'm seeing a ton of good reviews here, particularly from self-learners. Since it is covering so many topics, it may not get into the all details of each, but it's probably a great place to start.

Precalculus With Unit Circle Trigonometry by David Cohen

I don't get a great feeling from this one as a starting point or for self learning. This is the type of book that probably needs "decoding" by a guided teacher, or, if used for self study, you would need a lot of discipline and a bit more background.

Trigonometry by Gelfand and Sau

This actually looks pretty cool. I think trigonometry is usually taught in a very dry and boring way, and treated as a kind of "you have to learn this because you'll need it later" kind of thing. But I like that it's a dedicated trig book that gives the subject a little bit of respect. It's something I feel like I'd pick up to read myself just for fun.

Book of Proof

This looks like a great resource for when you are ready to jump into more advanced/abstract math and do proofs. It is not likely you'll need it for calculus just now.

Algebra and Trigonometry (3rd Edition) - Beecher

Mixed reviews. Seems redundant to some of the above, but possibly better than the Cohen.

The rest of the books either continue to be redundant, or not quite relevant to getting ready for calculus yet.

I assume you also know about Khan Academy

There is also a great list here of Free Math Books compiled by Greg, grand overlord of physicsforums. :)

Trig Without Tears is another nice, online freebee that I wish I'd known about when I was taking it.

But really, stick to very few books, one as your primary source, and consult others only as needed. Otherwise you'll be all over the place.

-Dave K

What is the difference between Trigonometry and Algebra?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles. Algebra, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of mathematical symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols to solve equations and express relationships.

Why is it important to learn Trigonometry and Algebra?

Trigonometry and Algebra are important because they provide the foundation for many other branches of mathematics, as well as other fields such as physics and engineering. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some common textbooks used for learning Trigonometry and Algebra?

Some common textbooks for Trigonometry include "Trigonometry: A Unit Circle Approach" by Sullivan and "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by Stewart, Redlin, and Watson. For Algebra, popular textbooks include "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Stewart, Redlin, and Watson and "Algebra: Structure and Method" by Brown, Dolciani, and Sorgenfrey.

Is it necessary to have a strong background in math before studying Trigonometry and Algebra?

While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background before studying Trigonometry and Algebra. These subjects can be learned and mastered with practice and dedication.

What are some resources for practicing Trigonometry and Algebra?

Aside from textbooks, there are many online resources and practice problems available for Trigonometry and Algebra. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MathisFun, and Mathway. Working through practice problems and seeking help from tutors or teachers can also be beneficial for improving skills in these subjects.