I have questions about circuit breakers .

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for documents about the dielectric strength test of oil used in oil circuit breakers, including the voltage at which the oil will breakdown and the name plate of the breaker. They also asked for documents about the instantaneous trip test, time delay trip test, and name plate for air circuit breakers. The expert summarizer then provides information about the type of oil typically used in oil circuit breakers and the testing requirements for UL 489 devices, which are often used in electrical distribution panels.
strangecomer
Welcome everybody in this forum.

I would like to ask about Oil circuit breaker, there is a dielectric strength test of its oil so, I want any documents about that, containing the voltage that the oil will breakdown in it , accents of oil that has been broken down and the name plate of the oil circuit breaker.

And,I want any documents about Air circuit breaker tests:
-instantaneous trip test.
-Time delay trip test.

and the name plate of Air circuit breaker.

Please answer me ,thanks.

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
there is no answer, I still waiting.

regards

1-The type of oil that has been used in virtually all oil circuit breakers is one where naphthenic base petroleum oils have been carefully refined to avoid sludge or corrosion that may be produced by sulfur or other contaminants.
The resulting insulating oil is identified as type 10-C transformer oil. It is characterized by an excellent dielectric strength, by a good thermal conductivity (2.7 x l0-4 cal/sec cm ˚C) and by a high thermal capacity (0.44 cal/gm ˚C).
The purity of the oil usually can be judged by its clarity and transparency. Fresh oil has a clear amber color, while contaminated oil is darkened and there are some black deposits that show signs of carbonization. The condition of the oil normally is evaluated by testing for its withstanding capability. The tests are made using a spherical spark gap with two spheres 20 mm in diameter and at a gap of 3 mm.
Fresh oil should have a dielectric capability greater than 35 kV. For used oil it is generally recommended that this capability be no less than 15 kV.

2-UL 489 encompasses circuit breakers “intended for installation in a circuit breaker enclosure or as parts of other devices, such as service entrance equipment and panel boards.” According to UL terminology, devices meeting this standard are considered listed products.
For approval, UL 489 requires the device pass a series of calibration, overload, endurance and short-circuit tests. The minimum short-circuit test must be performed at 5000A. Overload tests are performed at six times the current rating of the device or 150A minimum. Devices rated up to 600V and
6,000A are covered in this standard. Additionally, most UL 489 devices are used in electrical distribution panels; therefore, the minimum current ratings available are seldom less than 15A. During UL 489 testing, the device must survive short-circuit testing and continue to provide future overload protection.
In service entrance panels, available short-circuit fault currents measure 50,000A or greater. However, as power is distributed throughout a building, the available short-circuit currents diminish. If an electrical outlet is just 20 feet away from the power source, Ohm’s law states even with limitless available short-circuit current AWG 14 copper wire limits the maximum available fault current at the outlet to no more than 1200A at 120V.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

Related to I have questions about circuit breakers .

1. What is a circuit breaker?

A circuit breaker is an electrical switching device that automatically interrupts the flow of electricity when there is an overload or short circuit in a circuit. It is designed to protect the electrical circuit and prevent damage to appliances and wiring.

2. How does a circuit breaker work?

A circuit breaker works by using an electromagnet to detect when there is an overload or short circuit in a circuit. When this happens, the electromagnet pulls down a metal lever, which then trips the circuit and interrupts the flow of electricity. This prevents damage to the circuit and appliances.

3. What are the types of circuit breakers?

There are four main types of circuit breakers: thermal, magnetic, thermal-magnetic, and ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). Thermal circuit breakers use heat to detect overloads, magnetic circuit breakers use magnets to detect short circuits, thermal-magnetic circuit breakers combine both methods, and GFCIs are designed to protect against ground faults.

4. How do I know if my circuit breaker needs to be replaced?

If your circuit breaker frequently trips, feels hot to the touch, or makes crackling or buzzing noises, it may be time to replace it. Additionally, if your circuit breaker is old or outdated, it is recommended to have it replaced by a professional electrician.

5. Can I reset a tripped circuit breaker?

Yes, you can reset a tripped circuit breaker by first turning off all appliances and lights connected to that circuit. Then, locate the tripped breaker and flip it to the "off" position and then back to the "on" position. If the breaker trips again, it may indicate a larger issue and should be inspected by a professional.