I have some technical questions about a toroidal transformer core

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications and use of a 150 x 100 x 60 M4 grade toroid core and a same grade slit coil. The speaker is looking to add a 20 mm OD and is questioning if the added slit should also be of the same grade. The term "slit coil" is explained as a specialized process used to create precise and accurate wound cores for transformers.
Sudalai
I have 150 x 100 x 60 M4 grade toroid core and same grade slit coil, I need to 180 x 100 x 60 in my design purpose.i would like to add OD 20 mm. my suspicion is a slit that can be added should be on the same grade?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sudalai said:
I have 150 x 100 x 60 M4 grade toroid core and same grade slit coil, I need to 180 x 100 x 60 in my design purpose.i would like to add OD 20 mm. my suspicion is a slit that can be added should be on the same grade?
Is 150x100x60 in mm? That's a big toroid! What is it used for? Can you post links to the datasheets of the two cores you are asking about?

And what is a "slit coil"? I'm not familiar with that term yet...

Yes, this is medium size toroid core Slit coil means The manufacturing of strips wound cores is a specialized process, which requires a high degree of precision. These cores are manufactured from selected coils of CRGO electrical steel to yield closely controlled electro-magnetic characteristics and dimensional accuracy. Cores are wound as loops (two halves with overlapping ends joined together to form loop in multiple layers of the wound core) after slitting is done as per the required shape depending upon the rating and specification of the transformer on design parameters on the Unicore wound making machines. The Machine automatically stops when the pre-decided dimension is reached. The cores are stress-relief annealed to restore the magnetic properties. The cores are bonded where necessary, to provide increased firmness.

So this is a low frequency core made of magnetic steel and the "slit coil" is simply to break up the eddy currents that would exist in the toroid similar to how transformers are made of lamination's rather than a solid block?

1. What is a toroidal transformer core?

A toroidal transformer core is a type of transformer core that is shaped like a doughnut. It is made of a continuous magnetic material, usually iron or steel, and has a hole in the center for the winding of the transformer. This design provides a more efficient and compact transformer compared to other shapes.

2. How is a toroidal transformer core different from other transformer cores?

A toroidal transformer core is different from other transformer cores in terms of shape and construction. Its doughnut shape allows for a more efficient use of magnetic material, resulting in a smaller and lighter transformer. It also has lower levels of electromagnetic interference and produces less noise compared to other core shapes.

3. What are the advantages of using a toroidal transformer core?

There are several advantages of using a toroidal transformer core, including its compact size, high efficiency, low electromagnetic interference, and low noise. It also has a lower stray magnetic field, making it suitable for use in sensitive electronic equipment. Additionally, its shape allows for easy mounting and installation.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a toroidal transformer core?

When selecting a toroidal transformer core, factors such as the required power rating, frequency, and voltage must be considered. The size and shape of the core should also be chosen based on the available space and the desired level of efficiency. Additionally, the type and quality of the magnetic material used in the core should be carefully evaluated.

5. Can a toroidal transformer core be used in all types of transformers?

While toroidal transformer cores are commonly used in many types of transformers, they may not be suitable for all applications. For example, they may not be ideal for high power transformers due to their smaller size and lower power handling capacity. It is important to carefully consider the specific requirements of the transformer before deciding on the type of core to use.