I keep failing tests no matter how hard I try

In summary, consistently failing tests can have various underlying reasons such as a lack of understanding, poor study habits, test anxiety, or external factors. However, test-taking skills can be learned and improved with practice and effective studying techniques. It is important to review and adjust study habits and seek help if needed. Giving up should never be an option and failure can lead to growth and improvement. While failing tests can have a negative impact on grades, it does not define one's future and with determination and hard work, success can still be achieved.
ArcanusVII
It's just this one class I'm taking. It's really, really demoralizing. I normally do pretty well in my classes, I'm majoring in electrical engineering and I've so far kept a 3.2 GPA. I've only had to repeat one class, calculus II, and that was over a year ago, all of my other math classes I ended up getting A's in (that's calculus 3, differential equations, and linear algebra).

So I don't know what the hell it is about general physics 2, but it seems like no matter how much I study and how prepared I am for my exams, I keep epically failing them and getting scores in the 40% range and scoring at the bottom of the class. This last one in particular, it was just circuits, nothing else. I've been doing circuit stuff every semester for the last two years: there is no reason that I should be missing this stuff.

I was thoroughly prepared for it. The first one was some trouble since it was review of general physics 1, and it's been a long time since I took that. The second one didn't go well either, even though I felt very prepared and didn't have any trouble working the problems on the exam.

This last one, not only was I prepared (I studied nearly 30 hours over a week and a half), it was material that I've long since been fully exposed to. I wasn't being careless or sloppy, I stayed for the entire exam period checking and re-checking everything and thoroughly working out all of the problems. We're allowed to bring an equation sheet and I had every equation in all of the chapters of the textbook relevant to the exam written on it. Yet, not only did it turn out poorly, it was the worst grade I've gotten so far in the course.

I consistently get perfect scores on my quizzes, labs, and homework, and I greatly enjoy the material. I have no idea what's going on, it's not some weirdness with curving and to my knowledge I'm not being penalized for anything. My professor has not been helpful either. When I go to her office to talk about the exam I'm fully able to work out the problems correctly without any difficulty.

I'm both frustrated and extremely stressed out. I cannot afford to fail this class since it will set me back severely in my curriculum as the class I need it for is not offered in spring. I just need help...I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you gone to office hours and ask your professor if you can take a look at the exam? Just ask her to tell you where you went wrong..

DataGG said:
Have you gone to office hours and ask your professor if you can take a look at the exam? Just ask her to tell you where you went wrong..

I second this. Are you able to see your exams?

DataGG said:

This. You will never learn from your mistakes if you don't know what they are.

Also, this is a side issue... why are you taking general physics so late in your EE career? o_O

Go take a look at your exam first. Then come back here and tell us what you think went wrong. Were there many algebra errors? Were there conceptual errors? Things like that.

The OP only posted once, was last seen on July 27, 2014 (almost a year ago), and never responded to the earlier queries.

Draw your own conclusion.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The OP only posted once, was last seen on July 27, 2014 (almost a year ago), and never responded to the earlier queries.

Draw your own conclusion.

Zz.

Curious...why was it on the top of the forum list? Unless I'm severely mistaken and have lost my mind.

Thread closed.

Let this thread serve as a reminder to look at the date on any post that you're thinking of responding to.

axmls said:
why was it on the top of the forum list?

Someone posted spam or garbage in response to the year-old thread. You apparently found the thread before the spam was deleted and the thread sank back into the depths of history. Again, check the date on the specific post that you are thinking of responding to.

1) Why do I keep failing tests no matter how hard I try?

There could be several reasons for consistently failing tests. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the material, poor study habits, test anxiety, or external factors such as distractions or personal issues.

2) Is it possible that I am just not good at taking tests?

While some people may naturally excel at taking tests, it is a skill that can be learned and improved upon with practice and effective studying techniques. It is important to identify your areas of weakness and work on them to improve your test-taking abilities.

3) How can I improve my test scores if I am already putting in a lot of effort?

It is possible that you may be putting in a lot of effort, but not focusing on the right things. It is important to review your study habits and make sure you are studying effectively and efficiently. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also greatly improve your understanding of the material.

4) Should I just give up if I keep failing tests?

No, giving up should never be an option. Failing tests can be discouraging, but it is important to remember that it is a learning process and failure can lead to growth and improvement. Keep trying and seek help if needed.

5) Will my future be affected if I keep failing tests?

Failing tests can have a negative impact on your grades and may limit your opportunities for higher education or certain careers. However, it is important to remember that one's academic success does not define their future. With determination and hard work, it is possible to overcome academic challenges and achieve success in the future.