I Made a Thing! (AKA where did the 'DIY projects' thread go?)

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy project
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Anyway, I made a thing! A Christmas present to myself.

When we moved here in June, this was just a janky roof on two janky posts hanging off the shed-proper. Now it's a whole 'nother room - lighted, heated, weather-proofed, air-circulated, child-proofed and usable all year round, and all my tools are protected from drifting snow. (The window panels are actually leftover sliding doors repurposed, that can be removed in the summer for air circ.)

See the door-and-a-half? And it has a little trap door at bench-height on the far left where I can stick 2x4x8 lumber out and can still cut it on my chop saw.

This is the fist time in my life I've had an actual workshed where I can do stuff and not have to pack all my tools away when I'm done (which was a real buzz-kill).

(P.S. the pic makes it look like cedar, but it's actually all PT. I tried to do this on a budget.)

I rate this project 10/10. (Defined as: I started with ten fingers and still have ten left!)

20231224_164542.jpg
20231224_164611.jpg

Took me 2-3 weeks. Cost maybe $500, mostly in lumber, and much of that was just to shim up all the janky lines.

Next summer: dedicated power, so I don't have to power everything by extension cables from the house.

Now in my fifties, I'm discovering that my spirit animal is wood. And my talisman is a chopsaw.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre, phinds and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Very nice! Looks great, Dave. :smile:

Yes 10/10!!! good work!

I still suffer from the problem of 10Lbs of tools in a 5Lb workshop. It's like a 3D Tetris game getting anything big done.

Likes BillTre
DaveE said:
It's like a 3D Tetris game getting anything big done.
Indeed. The irony was not lost on me that the project I was working on - in my 10x10 work shed - was trying to build a 10x10 work shed. ("Why is every board I try to cut just a little too long to fit in my ... ohhh right.")

• Haha
Likes BillTre, DaveE and berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
When we moved here in June, this was just a janky roof on two janky posts hanging off the shed-proper. Now it's a whole 'nother room - lighted, heated, weather-proofed, air-circulated, child-proofed and usable all year round, and all my tools are protected from drifting snow. (The window panels are actually leftover sliding doors repurposed, that can be removed in the summer for air circ.)

It looks great! A very nicely done mojo dojo casa house.

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
1703543886625.png

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
Lnewqban said:
Yeah. So I inherited this janky lean-to whose 4x4 uprights are off by several degrees. They're securely buried in the ground and I didn't feel like tearing them out and putting in new corner posts from scratch (especially in winter). So I kept the existing posts and bullied them into a nigh-plumb state.

But now they don't line up to support the roof end joist (or is it stringer?). So I had to gang a short 4x4 to support the existing corner 4x4. That's what you're seeing.

1703553930174.png

The structure is generally over-built anyway, with most of the original structure being surrounded by more of my own lumber in an attempt to square everything up (including the highlighted corner).

The front right 4x4 - while you can't see it from the pic, is in actuality about 4x6 inches thick at the top - and about 4x8 inches at the bottom - because of all the supplementary lumber I've added.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Oh. Are you thinking the tree branch is the reason for the little add-on? No. The tree is actually several feet away.

1703554673911.png

DaveC426913 said:
Oh. Are you thinking the tree branch is the reason for the little add-on? No. The tree is actually several feet away.
No, I was only wondering about that solution, which you have explained above.
Thanks!

1. What is "I Made a Thing!"?

"I Made a Thing!" is a forum or thread where individuals can showcase their DIY (Do-It-Yourself) projects. It's a space for creators to share their homemade projects, get feedback, and discuss techniques and processes. This concept evolved from what was previously known as the "DIY projects" thread.

2. Why was the "DIY projects" thread renamed to "I Made a Thing!"?

The "DIY projects" thread was renamed to "I Made a Thing!" to better reflect the creativity and personal accomplishment in creating something unique. The new name aims to emphasize the pride and joy of making something by oneself, which resonates more with the community's spirit of creativity and innovation.

3. How can I participate in "I Made a Thing!"?

To participate in "I Made a Thing!", you typically need to register on the platform where the thread is hosted. Once registered, you can post pictures, descriptions, and details of your DIY projects. You can also comment on others' projects, ask questions, and exchange ideas and tips.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting in "I Made a Thing!"?

Yes, most forums or threads like "I Made a Thing!" have rules and guidelines to ensure a constructive and respectful environment. Common rules include no spamming, respecting others' work, providing constructive feedback, and refraining from off-topic discussions. It's important to read and understand these guidelines before posting.

5. Can I find "I Made a Thing!" on any social media platforms?

"I Made a Thing!" may also be available on various social media platforms, depending on its popularity and the community's preferences. It's common to find such threads on platforms like Reddit, Facebook, or specialized forums. Check your favorite social media platforms and search for "I Made a Thing!" to join the community.