I need a book for math competitions

In summary, the conversation was about finding a math book with competition-style problems and clear explanations, specifically for high school math at a regional level. Various recommendations were given, including recreational mathematics books, books by Titu Andreescu, and specific problem-solving books such as "104 Number Theory Problems" and "Schaum's 3,000 Solved Problems in Calculus." The conversation also mentioned an interest in problem-solving and the existence of easier problems compared to olympiad-level problems.
Zeroth
Hi
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a math book that has some competition-style problems in it, with explanations on how to solve them. I have found numerous of other competitions online but the explanations are very not understandable for me. I am NOT talking about international competitions, but regional. This is high school math.

Here is an example:

Find all prime numbers p and q and a natural number r such that they satisfy the equation.

p2 + q2+pq = r2

Physics news on Phys.org
You might find recreational mathematics books with a focus on puzzles useful. My Best Mathematical and Logic Puzzles by Martin Gardner, for example.

I checked the book and I think I should add another example for better understanding.

Determine a maximum and a minimum of the function:

f(x)=√(sin4(x)+4cos2(x)) - √(cos4(x) + 4sin2(x))

If you want to learn background knowledge, challenging problems along with good explanations, I recommend any book written by Titu Andreescu.

"104 Number Theory Problems: From the Training of the USA IMO Team," "Schaum's 3,000 Solved Problems in Calculus," and "Challenging Problems in Algebra" might help you, then.

The Bill said:
"104 Number Theory Problems: From the Training of the USA IMO Team," "Schaum's 3,000 Solved Problems in Calculus," and "Challenging Problems in Algebra" might help you, then.

Thumbs up for "104 NT Problems"; I used it to learn basics of elementary NT before studying analytics aspect. I think that book can be used as a first introduction to ENT too. Any book by Andreescu is extremely well-written.

The Bill said:
I found the last book, and it is perfect, thank you

I have found an interest in problem solving myself. I ordered, but have yet to receive and view the contents of, two books. One is the USSR Olympiad Math problems book published by Dover and a problems book published by the MAA.

MidgetDwarf said:
I have found an interest in problem solving myself. I ordered, but have yet to receive and view the contents of, two books. One is the USSR Olympiad Math problems book published by Dover and a problems book published by the MAA.
Thank you but I think it should be said. The problems I am solving are much easier than any olympiad problems.

1. What are the best books for math competitions?

There are several books that are highly recommended for math competitions, including "The Art of Problem Solving" series by Richard Rusczyk, "Challenging Problems in Algebra" by Alfred S. Posamentier, and "Mathematical Olympiad Challenges" by Titu Andreescu and Razvan Gelca.

2. Are there any books specifically for certain math competitions, such as the AMC or Math Olympiad?

Yes, there are books that are tailored for specific math competitions. For the AMC, "The AMC 10 and 12: Preparation Volume 1" and "The AMC 10 and 12: Preparation Volume 2" by Richard Rusczyk are popular choices. For the Math Olympiad, "The Mathematical Olympiad Handbook" by Tony Gardiner is a highly recommended resource.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a math competition book?

Yes, there are many online resources that can complement a math competition book. Some popular websites include Art of Problem Solving, Brilliant, and Khan Academy. These websites offer practice problems, videos, and forums for students to discuss and learn from others.

4. Is it necessary to have multiple books for math competitions?

It is not necessary to have multiple books for math competitions, but it can be beneficial to have a variety of resources. Different books may cover different topics or provide different approaches to solving problems, which can be helpful for developing a well-rounded understanding of math competition concepts.

5. Can I use a math textbook for regular classes for math competitions?

While a regular math textbook may cover some topics that are relevant to math competitions, it may not be sufficient for preparing for these competitions. Math competition books are specifically designed to challenge and expand upon traditional math concepts, and often include more difficult and creative problems that are commonly seen in competitions.