Suggestion for a proof-based math text book for high school

In summary, the conversation discussed the topics covered in the pure mathematics II component of A-level mathematics, as well as a request for a proof-based math book suitable for a curious high school student. Suggestions were given for books including Basic Mathematics by Lang, calculus books by Spivak and Apostol, and Pre-calculus by Axler.
CornMuffin
I am currently teaching the pure mathematics II component of A-level mathematics which consist of the following subjects: Logarithmic/exponential functions, trigonometry, differentiation, integration (including integration by parts, and trig substitution), numerical approximation of roots of a function, vectors, differential equations, complex numbers.

My student asked me for a math book which goes through the proof of some of the properties, identities, equations and theorems or it's origin discussed in class. I often go through proofs in class, but the book that we use hardly ever have proofs.

Do you have any suggestion for a proof-based math book suitable for a curious, and above average high school math student.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Lang - Basic mathematics is exactly what you're looking for.

For more depth and detail, have you looked at the calculus books by Spivak and Apostol?

Maybe Axler, "Pre-calculus"? I found it better than Lang's Basic Mathematics.

What is a proof-based math textbook?

A proof-based math textbook is a type of math textbook that focuses on teaching students how to use logical reasoning and mathematical arguments to prove theorems and solve problems. It places a strong emphasis on understanding the underlying concepts and principles, rather than just memorizing formulas and procedures.

Why is a proof-based math textbook important for high school students?

A proof-based math textbook is important for high school students because it helps develop critical thinking skills and a deeper understanding of mathematics. It also prepares students for higher level math courses and for careers in fields such as science, engineering, and mathematics.

What are the benefits of using a proof-based math textbook in high school?

Some benefits of using a proof-based math textbook in high school include: improved problem-solving skills, better understanding of mathematical concepts, development of logical reasoning skills, preparation for advanced math courses, and improved performance on standardized tests.

What should I look for in a proof-based math textbook for high school students?

When choosing a proof-based math textbook for high school students, it is important to look for clear and concise explanations, a variety of examples and practice problems, and a progression of difficulty that aligns with the high school curriculum. It should also have a strong focus on proofs and logical reasoning.

Are there any recommended proof-based math textbooks for high school students?

Yes, there are several recommended proof-based math textbooks for high school students, such as "Introduction to Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Charles Roberts, "Proofs in Geometry" by David C. Royster, and "A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Doug Smith and Maurice Eggen. It is important to choose a textbook that best fits the needs and learning style of the students and aligns with the high school curriculum.