I need a small fan to push a lot of air because my bigger fan is too loud

In summary, this person has a question about how to make a fan that is quiet. They are looking for a fan that is both powerful and quiet. They found that a box fan is usually both powerful and quiet.
Dixenharass
TL;DR Summary
Too poor for quiet fan, will small fan in bigger tube push more air than just fan?
I remember a quick demonstration in high school of air like pushing more air thru a tube maybe 3-4in dia. than the little airbrush would push by itself? I think. I scaled that up at a weld shop with shop air and a 10in alum pipe that was like 3 feet long. I put a blow gun in the pipe and made a pretty cool fan like thing. (Real fans would fill with metal dust and burn out real fast) I'm wondering if that only works with really fast moving air or can I do something similar with like a 5 in fan and a 10 in dia tube? I need something quiet that moves allot of air. People I live with prefer it hotter and complain about my tv being too loud... I need my tv loud because my fan is loud. Idc about it taking up a bit of space. I'm also broke so I can't buy a fancy quiet fan that costs like 80 bucks lol

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
A fan usually makes a noise when the flow of air is obstructed.
Check that all filters are clear, and that the inlet and outlet ducts are open.

Likes Dixenharass
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
A fan usually makes a noise when the flow of air is obstructed.
Check that all filters are clear, and that the inlet and outlet ducts are open.
oh i just have a couple honeywell fans. they make the same amount of noise as when they were new, i just wish i could have something that makes very little noise so i could here people talking on tv with the volume low.

Attachments

• image_2022-07-15_073145639.png
    image_2022-07-15_073145639.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 101
it says someone edited my post? how do i message that person to ask about how to write better posts? if anyone else has suggestions or thinks of any good fish puns. let minnow

LOL, it was me. I just fixed up your thread title to get rid of the nonsense stuff ("cuz" instead of "because", etc.). PF is a bit more straight laced than Facebook, etc...

Likes Joe591, Rive and pinball1970
Further Information on the 3 speed Honeywell HT-900 TurboForce Air Circulator.
Maximum Cubic Feet per Minute: 185 CFM.
Wattage, ‎35 watts ; Voltage, ‎110 Volts ; Is Dishwasher Safe, ‎No.
Uniquely engineered fan blades provide quiet, powerful personal cooling that’s great on a tabletop or mounted to the wall in your home or office.
Engineered to be 25% Quieter.
Unique blade design creates less noise but remains powerful – feel the TurboForce from up to 25 ft. away!

@Dixenharass
It will take time for the Earth to rotate, and for some acoustics experts to wake up and read your post. Your question is now well-prepared; give it time.

Likes berkeman
A general rule is that a larger fan will make less noise than a smaller fan that moves the same amount of air. Note that ceiling fans move a lot of air with almost no noise.

Does your TV have a headphone jack? If so, headphones may solve the problem. If you don't like wearing headphones, you can get a remote speaker and place it near your head. What sounds plenty loud from a small speaker near your head will be quiet to somebody on the other side of the room.

Likes russ_watters and DaveC426913
The noise from the fans is caused by air turbulence. Turbulence is when air swirls around the blades and grill of the fan; there is too much of it moving too rapidly and bumping into itself!

As @jrmichler pointed out, the quiet way to move a high volume of air is sweep a large area slowly; not a small area quickly.

Many box fans have three speeds available so you can run them slow and quiet or fast and noisy. If you need more air than available at the slow or medium speed, get a second fan; that increases the area and air volume with a slight-to-moderate noise increase.

Avoid those that advertise "high air flow" or "high velocity", they are noisier.

The most common size is 20" (50cm) and pricing starts about USD $25, cheaper if you find them on sale, and many sites want two to three times as much.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/a3....jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Rive
I have found squirrel-cage fans are quieter than box fans, but are generally bulkier. Some box fans are quieter than others, usually the ones with less blades. They may have specs for noise so that you can compare.

: furiously Googles 'squirrel cage fan' :

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes Joe591, russ_watters and Juanda
We had an early version of an expensive new-model electroencephalograph multichannel recorder, for use researching the sleep-wake cycles of babies. The problem was that the two box fans (AKA muffin fans) that cooled the power supply, made so much noise it upset the experiment. The amplifier front panels also got quite hot to touch after an hour.

There were no air outlet vents anywhere, so I cut and EMI screened a vent at the far end of the amplifiers. Then there was through flow, that cooled the amplifiers, and eliminated the high pressure stalled back-flow noise. I then wired the fans in series, so they ran slowly and silently, which was more than sufficient for the cooling required.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman

1. How can I find a small fan that can push a lot of air?

One way to find a small fan that can push a lot of air is to look for fans with high CFM (cubic feet per minute) ratings. This measures the volume of air that the fan can move in a minute. The higher the CFM, the more air the fan can push.

2. Can a small fan really push as much air as a bigger fan?

Yes, a small fan can push just as much air as a bigger fan if it has a high CFM rating. The size of the fan does not necessarily determine its ability to move air. It is important to look at the CFM rating when comparing fans.

3. What should I look for when purchasing a small fan to push a lot of air?

Aside from a high CFM rating, you should also consider the fan's noise level, power consumption, and design. Look for fans with low noise levels and energy-efficient motors. You may also want to consider the fan's design and how it will fit into your space.

4. Is it better to have one large fan or multiple small fans to push a lot of air?

This depends on your specific needs and preferences. One large fan may be more convenient and efficient for a large space, while multiple small fans may be better for targeted cooling in smaller areas. It is important to consider the CFM rating and noise level of each fan to determine which option would be best for you.

5. Can I use a small fan to push air from one room to another?

Yes, you can use a small fan to push air from one room to another, but the effectiveness may vary depending on the size and layout of the rooms. It is important to choose a fan with a high CFM rating and position it strategically to achieve the desired airflow.