I need a Straight Compact Linear data model

In summary, Pearson Correlation Coefficient is not good for finding Straight Compact Linear data, but Anscombe's Quartet is.
1plus1is10
Does anyone know a model to identify Straight Compact Linear data?

I've been toying with Pearson Correlation Coefficient and am very disappointed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_correlation_coefficient
I originally thought that this would be exactly what I needed, but...
After some Googling, I soon discovered Anscombe's quartet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anscombe's_quartet

Frank Anscombe basically said "look at your data". Duh.
graph.png

Per online calculator: https://www.socscistatistics.com/tests/pearson/Default2.aspx
The first line's PCC is: -0.2679=bad. The X values are 1-12 and the Y values are:

The second line's PCC is: 0.8358=good. The Y values are:

I need a model where the first line is good and the second is bad.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 333
Physics news on Phys.org
PS... Straight can be up or down also, not just flat. As long as it is compact and straight.

After toying with this some more and also stopping to ask, "what do I actually see", I think I now understand the problem:
= It's all relative (it's all about scale).

Basically, if I look at each side of my graph independently, then the PCC results make much more sense.
More specifically, the top and bottom of the graph for the first line's data changes and the data no longer looks compact.
This is due to scale - it's no longer relative to the second line's data.

So, having realized the problem, I thought some more and stared at it some more, and I think I have a solution (for me anyway).
My solution actually has 2 parts:
1) Iterate through the entire data with a fixed/desired sample size to get an average Standard Deviation. Then use it as a comparison.
2) Do a Quadratic Regression of the desired data to calculate it's Latus Rectum and divide it by the sample size. The bigger the percent, the straighter the data.

If anyone can think of a better hammer, I'd still like to hear from you.
(my eyes see that there has to be something regarding crossovers, but I got nothing yet)
Thanks

Related to I need a Straight Compact Linear data model

1. What is a Straight Compact Linear data model?

A Straight Compact Linear data model is a type of data model that organizes data in a linear, sequential manner. It is characterized by a single table with columns and rows, where each row represents a unique record and each column represents a specific attribute or variable.

2. What are the advantages of using a Straight Compact Linear data model?

One advantage of using a Straight Compact Linear data model is its simplicity and ease of use. It is easy to understand and navigate, making it ideal for smaller datasets. Additionally, it allows for efficient data retrieval and manipulation, as all the data is stored in a single table.

3. How is a Straight Compact Linear data model different from other data models?

A Straight Compact Linear data model differs from other data models, such as hierarchical or relational models, in its structure. Unlike hierarchical models, it does not have a parent-child relationship between data elements. And unlike relational models, it does not use multiple tables and complex relationships between them.

4. In what situations is a Straight Compact Linear data model most suitable?

A Straight Compact Linear data model is most suitable for smaller datasets with simple relationships between data elements. It is often used in applications where data needs to be quickly retrieved and updated, such as in scientific research or financial analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Straight Compact Linear data model?

Yes, a Straight Compact Linear data model may not be suitable for large, complex datasets with many relationships between data elements. It also does not allow for data redundancy, which can be beneficial in some cases. Additionally, it may not be the best choice for data that needs to be frequently updated or changed.