I need an experiment about surface tension

In summary, bob012345 is suggesting an experiment that demonstrates the hydrophilic/lipophilic nature of detergents, e.g. something that shows quantitatively how 'sodium lauryl sulfate' affects Brownian motion in an elementary-school 'drop of oil on water' demonstration.
diogomcs
Summary:: Surface tension experiment

Does anyone have an idea about a SURFACE TENSION experiment to present as university class work?
An experiment that is not too "simple" and repetitive (like things floating under water), and that is well designed.

Physics news on Phys.org
diogomcs said:
Summary:: Surface tension experiment

Does anyone have an idea about a SURFACE TENSION experiment to present as university class work?
An experiment that is not too "simple" and repetitive (like things floating under water), and that is well designed.
Welcome to PF. :smile:

(thread moved to the schoolwork forums from the technical forums)

So what are your thoughts so far? Please show us links to the reading that you have been doing about Surface Tension. There are plenty of simple experiments suitable for middle school and early high school, but it seems like you will need to look for more advanced experiments if you want to do this at the university level, IMO.

Likes sysprog
Are you so supposed to design your own apparatus to measure surface tension? If so, design something simple that you make yourself and then do a series of repetitive measurements (don't knock them) that would answer questions like
1. How does surface tension depend on temperature?
2. How does surface tension depend on the density of the liquid?
3. How does surface tension change when you apply a thin coat of whatever to whatever you dip in whatever liquid?
Of course, for a university level study, you need to collect your data, analyze them, present an underlying theory that connects the surface tension (dependent variable) to the whatever (independent variable) and then see whether the theory matches your data. In short, I believe that what would make this a university-level experiment is not how you collect your measurements, but what you do with them.

• Informative
Likes sysprog and berkeman
I suggest perhaps an experiment that demonstrates the hydrophilic/lipophilic nature of detergents, e.g. something that shows quantitatively how 'sodium lauryl sulfate' affects Brownian motion in an elementary-school 'drop of oil on water' demonstration.

Likes berkeman
bob012345 said:
You could do an experiment with the capillary effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action
@bob012345, neato, when I was a little kid I imagined a 'perpetual motion machine' based on that ##-## it took me a while to recognize the ambient heat contribution to the otherwise 'isolated' system.

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that causes the molecules on the surface of a liquid to stick together. This creates a barrier that allows some objects to float on the surface of the liquid.

2. How can I measure surface tension?

Surface tension can be measured using a variety of methods, such as the drop weight method, the capillary rise method, or the Du Noüy ring method. These methods involve measuring the force required to break the surface tension of a liquid.

3. What factors affect surface tension?

Surface tension can be affected by several factors, including temperature, type of liquid, and presence of impurities. Higher temperatures typically decrease surface tension, while impurities can increase or decrease surface tension depending on their properties.

4. What are some examples of surface tension in everyday life?

Surface tension can be observed in various everyday situations, such as when water forms droplets on a surface, when insects walk on water, or when a paperclip floats on the surface of water. It is also responsible for the shape of bubbles and the behavior of soap films.

5. How can I design an experiment to study surface tension?

To design an experiment about surface tension, you can choose a specific liquid and vary factors such as temperature or impurities to observe their effects on surface tension. You can also use different methods to measure surface tension and compare the results. It is important to control variables and repeat the experiment multiple times for accurate results.