How Do I Interpret AGMA Gear Table Errors for Non-Standard Measurements?

In summary, the individual is seeking help in determining the errors of a Spur Gear with specific dimensions and AGMA Quality. However, upon consulting the table provided, there seems to be a mismatch in the information. Further clarification from the spec or other pages may be needed. The individual is advised to check for proper explanation on how to apply data from the tables.
balaaditya
Hi all,

I am confused of how to find the “TOTAL TOOTH-TO-TOOTH SPACING AND PROFILE ERRORS e”.

My Professor want me to determine the ERRORS of a Spur Gear with gear diameter d1 = 420 mm and pinion diameter d2 = 65 mm and a gear module m = 8 and the AGMA Quality is No. 10.

When I see the Table (image is attached below), there are no such information that match with the above problem.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3443/agmagearpb9.jpg

From the table, in AGMA Quality No. 10, the module m is only:

1.5875 – 1.2706 mm
3.175 mm
6.35 mm
12.7 mm

There is no module m = 8

Same as with the Pitch Diameter, there are only:

38.1 mm
76.2 mm
152.4 mm
304.8 mm
635.0 mm
1,270.0 mm

There is no Pitch Diameter that is 65 mm and 420 mm.

Can anyone please help me about this?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Number of teeth is always an integer. When you divide gear diameter or pinion diameter by the module, you are not getting an integer. So, something is wrong with your data. Probably you already know by now.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to spec. to verify. Please check other pages of spec for proper explanation of how to apply data in the tables. It probably says up to or above when tolerances are applied to the pitch diameters as it is impossible to include each and every conceivable diameter.

Good luck.

What is "AGMA Gear Table" and why is it important for reading?

The AGMA Gear Table is a standard reference table for designing and selecting gears used in mechanical systems. It provides information on gear dimensions, tooth profiles, and performance characteristics. It is important for reading because it ensures proper gear selection and functionality in a system.

How can I use the AGMA Gear Table to find the necessary gear dimensions?

The AGMA Gear Table has a series of columns and rows that correspond to different gear types, sizes, and ratings. By selecting the appropriate values for these parameters, you can find the necessary gear dimensions such as pitch, pressure angle, and diametral pitch.

What is the difference between "diametral pitch" and "module" in the AGMA Gear Table?

Diametral pitch is a unit of measurement used in the American system, while module is a unit used in the metric system. They both represent the size of a gear's teeth and can be used interchangeably in the AGMA Gear Table.

How do I interpret the values in the "AGMA Quality Number" column of the AGMA Gear Table?

The AGMA Quality Number represents the accuracy and quality of a gear's tooth profile. A lower number indicates a higher quality gear with more precise tooth profiles. The values in this column can be used to select gears that meet specific performance requirements.

Are there any limitations to using the AGMA Gear Table for gear selection?

While the AGMA Gear Table is a widely accepted standard, it is important to note that it may not account for all factors in gear design and performance. It is always recommended to consult with a professional engineer for critical gear applications.

Back