Why Isn't My DIY DC Motor Turning?

Benedict Pham
Homework Statement
You are to construct a DC electric motor using simple materials. No extra marks can be obtained by using expensive equipment and the use of a purchased kit is not permitted. If in doubt see your physics teacher

Your motor works smoothly and regularly using a maximum 12V power pack or battery.
Your motor is less than 20cm x 20cm in dimensions.
Your motor must be sturdy in construction and easy to start.
The motor must have magnets or electromagnets, a split-ring commutator, brushes and a coil.
Your brushes need to be attached to the motor.
You have used raw materials (where appropriate) in the construction process
Relevant Equations
𝜏 = 𝑛𝐼𝐴𝐵sin𝜃
𝐹 = 𝑙𝐼𝐵sin𝜃
Hi so I'm making a DC motor for my school project and I have no clue why it doesn't work properly. I used copper wire to make the coil (around 50 windings) and put that around a wooden axle (the windings and the coil itself are secured using tape and cable ties), I have a split ring commutator, and I have 2 magnets on either side of the coil. The Magnets are oriented correctly - (NS) Axle (NS) - and electricity goes through it, (it sparks when I put the wire onto it) and it vibrates a bit when I put the wire onto the commutator but it doesn't turn or anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:
Give it a spin with your finger(s) to get it started.
A motor with just two poles can have some dead spots and often will not start on its own.

If that does not get it going, check the rotational relationship between the rotor poles, the commutator, and the magnets. (figure out where in the rotation you want the commutator to switch)

Have Fun!

Cheers,
Tom

Maybe magnet orientation, or external magnetic circuit ?
Please attach a photo(s) of your motor to your next post, so we can see what you have done.
Where we see possible problems, we can ask further questions.

I had a problem once where the connection from the supply to the commutator was inconsistent and the motor only vibrated like you described.

Tom.G said:
:welcome:
Give it a spin with your finger(s) to get it started.
A motor with just two poles can have some dead spots and often will not start on its own.

If that does not get it going, check the rotational relationship between the rotor poles, the commutator, and the magnets. (figure out where in the rotation you want the commutator to switch)

Have Fun!

Cheers,
Tom
Thanks, turns out the magnetic field wasn't strong enough so I added some more magnets and it worked.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, Mooorshum, Tom.G and 1 other person

1. How do I choose the right DC motor for my project?

Choosing the right DC motor for your project depends on several factors such as the required torque, speed, power supply, and budget. It is important to carefully consider these factors and do research on different types of DC motors before making a decision.

2. What is the difference between brushed and brushless DC motors?

Brushed DC motors use physical brushes to transfer electricity to the rotor, while brushless DC motors use electronic commutation. This makes brushless motors more efficient, reliable, and durable. However, they are also more expensive.

3. How do I control the speed of a DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor can be controlled by adjusting the voltage or by using a motor controller. If using a motor controller, it is important to make sure it is compatible with your motor and can handle the required current and voltage.

4. How do I make my DC motor run in both directions?

To make a DC motor run in both directions, you will need to use a motor controller that has a reversible function. Alternatively, you can use a DPDT (double-pole, double-throw) switch to reverse the polarity of the motor's power supply.

5. How do I troubleshoot common issues with DC motors?

Common issues with DC motors include overheating, excessive noise, and failure to start. To troubleshoot these issues, you can check for loose connections, make sure the motor is not overloaded, and clean or replace the brushes if necessary. It is also important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for troubleshooting specific issues.