I need some recommandations for literature about periodic functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of periodic functions and the speaker's search for comprehensive knowledge on the subject. They mention their previous knowledge of Fourier series and ask for suggestions on a more abstract and general theoretical framework for studying periodic functions. The other person suggests looking into books on Fourier series and transforms, and also mentions that most information on periodic functions is specific to certain topics.
tauon
Hello, I know I am asking for advice about a very specific topic - periodic functions, almost periodic functions and quasi-periodic functions. I was hit by an idea and I need to know a few things more comprehensively about this topic !?~ :]

I am aware that "periodic functions etc." isn't a course popularly taught (if at all?) so there may be a shortage of actual textbooks about it, but I should be complexly grateful if anyone could point me towards a way to acquire this knowledge in a relatively connected form. Maybe there are some monographs written on these subjects? Or is searching for bits and pieces here and there my only option of building a fairly exhaustive knowledge about these?

Any input is very much appreciated; and I hope my topic is not too far off from being well-formed.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you need to know about periodic functions?

A study of Fourier series might be of use to you. While I can't give specific suggestions, you shouldn't have a difficult time finding a book on Fourier series/transforms which also includes a portion on periodic functions in general. Depending on what your idea is, you might even find Fourier series themselves to be quite useful. (breaking apart signals into a sum of cosines with different frequencies).

I have a feeling you'll find that most of the information on periodic functions (beyond the basics you learn in high-school of course) will be little snippets that are specific to some particular topic rather than general information about periodic functions.

thegreenlaser said:
What exactly do you need to know about periodic functions?

well, everything. sufficient knowledge so that I may say I know "periodic functions theory"... but,

thegreenlaser said:
I have a feeling you'll find that most of the information on periodic functions (beyond the basics you learn in high-school of course) will be little snippets that are specific to some particular topic rather than general information about periodic functions.

I was somewhat afraid of that... it seems I'll have to dig through the library for what I need. Thank you for your input. :]

thegreenlaser said:
A study of Fourier series might be of use to you. While I can't give specific suggestions, you shouldn't have a difficult time finding a book on Fourier series/transforms which also includes a portion on periodic functions in general. Depending on what your idea is, you might even find Fourier series themselves to be quite useful. (breaking apart signals into a sum of cosines with different frequencies).

I already covered Fourier series last year. I was wondering if there is a theoretical framework that is more abstract and general. Perhaps something like how function spaces are studied in analysis... ahh, I have no idea how to put this... thanks again. :)

Last edited:

1. What are periodic functions?

Periodic functions are mathematical functions that repeat themselves at regular intervals. This means that the function's value at a particular point is the same as its value at another point after a certain amount of time or distance.

2. Why are periodic functions important?

Periodic functions are important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and signal processing. They help us understand and model natural phenomena that occur in a repeating pattern, such as waves, vibrations, and oscillations.

3. Can you provide some examples of periodic functions?

Some common examples of periodic functions include trigonometric functions like sine, cosine, and tangent, as well as exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and many more. In nature, we can observe periodic functions in the movement of planets, the seasons, and the beating of our hearts.

4. What is the period of a periodic function?

The period of a periodic function is the smallest interval over which the function repeats itself. In other words, it is the distance or time between two consecutive repetitions of the function's pattern. The period is usually denoted by the letter T and can be calculated by finding the distance between two consecutive points where the function has the same value.

5. How are periodic functions used in real-world applications?

Periodic functions have many practical applications, such as in designing structures that can withstand vibrations, analyzing and predicting the behavior of electrical circuits, and creating sound and music. They are also used in data analysis and signal processing to identify patterns and trends in data that occur periodically.