I need to create a .7+ Tesla electromagnetic solenoid

In summary, creating a .7+ Tesla electromagnetic solenoid involves constructing a coil of wire, applying an electrical current, and enclosing it in a ferromagnetic core. This process produces a strong magnetic field, making it useful in a variety of applications such as medical imaging and industrial machinery. Proper design and construction are crucial for achieving a high Tesla rating and maximizing the efficiency of the solenoid.
AniV
I am trying to create a solenoid with a high flux density, but I need the specifications (wire gauge, current applied, etc). The diameter of the core would be preferable around 15mm. The length can be pretty much anything reasonable.

I need this for a project that requires a strong repulsive force between this electromagnet, and a neodymium magnet with dimensions 15mm diameter x 20mm length, at a half centimeter distance between the poles.

The dimensions of the electromagnet can be flexible. If increasing the diameter substantially increases the strength of the magnet, I am all in for it.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, what you describe cannot be done. Or at least cannot be done safely by amateurs.

Thanks for your reply. Would you mind explaining why? I suppose I may be able to use anything from .5 Tesla.

AniV said:
I am trying to create a solenoid with a high flux density, but I need the specifications (wire gauge, current applied, etc). The diameter of the core would be preferable around 15mm. The length can be pretty much anything reasonable.

I need this for a project that requires a strong repulsive force between this electromagnet, and a neodymium magnet with dimensions 15mm diameter x 20mm length, at a half centimeter distance between the poles.

The dimensions of the electromagnet can be flexible. If increasing the diameter substantially increases the strength of the magnet, I am all in for it.

Thanks in advance.
AniV said:
Thanks for your reply. Would you mind explaining why? I suppose I may be able to use anything from .5 Tesla.
I think V50 is referring to the need for superconducting coils to get to those field strengths. Plus such strong fields mean a lot of energy is being used to generate them.

Try playing around with this electromagnet field strength calculator to see what you can get with a non-superconducting coil:

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/phys/electromagnetism/solenoid

:smile:

You're talking about a huge field. You're going to need of order a kiloamp to do this, and resistive losses will be of order a megawatt. This is unsafe, and is way too much for someone's first magnet. If you go to narrower wire, to get more turns, the current goes down, but the resistance goes up, and you're still trying to shed a megawatt of heat.

Half a Tesla? There is another thread here where someone tried to reach 1T. I don't believe they mentioned the requirement for such a high current.

If half a Tesla is unfeasible, what do you believe to be the maximum I can reach given I don't have professional equipment?

Thanks

On the point of heat buildup.. how long does it have to run for?. .If you're looking for very low duty cycles and micro or milliseconds of ON time, you can throw a lot more power at it than if you want to run it extensively.

It will not be continuously running. I only need it to "pulse" a few times a second (anywhere from 2-5 times a second).

AniV said:
It will not be continuously running. I only need it to "pulse" a few times a second (anywhere from 2-5 times a second).
Can you say what you are trying to do? Maybe there is a better way to do it... :smile:

Well... I 3D modeled and printed a working (and pretty sturdy) piston-crankshaft contraption. I fitted it with a cylindrical neodymium magnet, and was wondering if there was any way to use an electromagnet to "power" it. There are a few ways of doing it, one is simply placing an electromagnet at the end, and using the repulsive and attractive forces. Another way would be more akin to a railgun.

I have an identical magnet to the one in the contraption, and I have noticed a very strong repulsive force when I place them near each other. I was hoping to replicate that repulsion using an electromagnet.

This isn't intended to be a working motor that will power a vehicle, just an interesting hobby.

Attachments

• IMG_4269.JPG
    IMG_4269.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_4269.JPG
    IMG_4269.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 568
AniV said:
Well... I 3D modeled and printed a working (and pretty sturdy) piston-crankshaft contraption. I fitted it with a cylindrical neodymium magnet, and was wondering if there was any way to use an electromagnet to "power" it. There are a few ways of doing it, one is simply placing an electromagnet at the end, and using the repulsive and attractive forces. Another way would be more akin to a railgun.

I have an identical magnet to the one in the contraption, and I have noticed a very strong repulsive force when I place them near each other. I was hoping to replicate that repulsion using an electromagnet.

This isn't intended to be a working motor that will power a vehicle, just an interesting hobby.
Nice work! :smile: It would probably be more efficient to use a solenoid arrangement to pull the piston into the solenoid. If you use a magnetized piston, you could get both an attractive and repulsive effect from the coil. Why do you think you need such a high field to make the motor work?

Likes Nidum
Thank you.

As I said, I was hoping to replicate the same repulsive force I found between the two neodymium magnets. I suppose it seemed simpler at the time.

I suppose now the problem would be to figure out the parameters for solenoid.

Thanks. This looks interesting.

AniV said:
If half a Tesla is unfeasible, what do you believe to be the maximum I can reach given I don't have professional equipment?
Based on the answers that you have been given and the typical power capacity of a house, I'd say you are probably high by at least a factor of 100.

1. How does a solenoid create a magnetic field?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that carries an electric current. When an electric current passes through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the solenoid.

2. What is the significance of a .7+ Tesla electromagnetic solenoid?

The strength of a solenoid's magnetic field is measured in Tesla (T), with 1 Tesla being equivalent to 10,000 Gauss. A .7+ Tesla solenoid is considered to be a strong magnetic field, which is useful for a variety of scientific and industrial applications.

3. How do you create a .7+ Tesla electromagnetic solenoid?

To create a .7+ Tesla solenoid, you will need to use a high-strength permanent magnet or an electromagnet with a high current running through it. The coil of wire should also be tightly wound and have a high number of turns per unit length.

4. What are some practical uses for a .7+ Tesla electromagnetic solenoid?

A .7+ Tesla solenoid is commonly used in scientific research, medical imaging, and industrial applications such as magnetic levitation, particle accelerators, and MRI machines. It can also be used in the creation of strong electromagnets for lifting heavy objects.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with a .7+ Tesla electromagnetic solenoid?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when working with strong magnetic fields. It is recommended to keep any sensitive electronic devices or credit cards away from the solenoid to avoid damage. Additionally, it is important to follow proper safety procedures when working with high currents and electricity.