I need to maximize my RPMs in a single cylinder flywheel

In summary, the conversation revolves around a project involving a flywheel single-cylinder engine powered by a 40 psi air compressor. The goal is to achieve a high RPM, with the current average being around 3-4k. The person working on the project has already made adjustments such as sanding points of contact and shortening the stroke of the crankshaft. However, they are seeking tips on how to further increase the RPM. Suggestions include reducing the mass of moving parts, optimizing the cam profile, and ensuring efficient air supply. More information, such as valve timing and output load, would be needed to give more specific advice.
raclemai
I am working on a flywheel single-cylinder engine powered by a 40 psi air compressor. My task is to achieve as many RPMs as I can. I have already bored two exhaust ports in the frame as shown in the pictures attached. I've done some 600grit sanding on points of contact, am using lubricant prior to air compressor connection, and am planning on shortening the stroke of the crankshaft by drilling/tapping a new hole higher up than the one shown on the crankshaft/flywheel connector. Any tips on RPM increase regarding this engine? The minimum to pass my class is 1000rpm, I am currently at 1890, and the average rpm achieved has been around 3 or 4k Thanks.

Attachments

• 20181128_210005.jpg
    20181128_210005.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 396
  • 20181128_210033.jpg
    20181128_210033.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 376
  • 20181128_210059.jpg
    20181128_210059.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 385
  • 20181128_210116.jpg
    20181128_210116.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 369
  • 20181128_210124.jpg
    20181128_210124.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 20181128_210154.jpg
    20181128_210154.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 363
  • 20181128_210212.jpg
    20181128_210212.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 402
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. Fun project. :smile:

IMO, it's hard to offer suggestions without having much more information. What is the valve timing of this "engine"? Presumably the input pressure is used via the camshaft and two valves to generate output torque, right? What is the output load? Just the MOI of the flywheel? What is the total bearing friction torque once the flywheel is spun up?

Can you post your cam profile, and how that translates into your valve timing?

If this will be free-running you can try to reduce the mass of all moving parts, especially the flywheel, pistons, and connecting rods.
As mentioned above the cam profile can also be a limiting factor.

Make sure that your air supply line and engine intake port are sized to minimize any flow air friction pressure losses from those sources and that you are not losing engine input pressure from approaching the maximum air supply delivery rate of your air compressor.

What is a single cylinder flywheel?

A single cylinder flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy through its circular motion. It is typically used in engines to maintain a steady speed and minimize fluctuations in power output.

Why is it important to maximize RPMs in a single cylinder flywheel?

Maximizing RPMs (revolutions per minute) in a single cylinder flywheel is important because it directly affects the amount of energy that can be stored and released by the flywheel. A higher RPM means more energy can be stored, leading to a more efficient and powerful engine.

What factors affect the RPMs of a single cylinder flywheel?

The RPMs of a single cylinder flywheel can be affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the flywheel, the engine's power output, and the speed at which the engine is running. Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also play a role in the RPMs.

How can I increase the RPMs in a single cylinder flywheel?

There are several ways to increase the RPMs in a single cylinder flywheel. One way is to decrease the weight of the flywheel, which allows it to spin faster. Another way is to increase the power output of the engine, which in turn increases the energy stored in the flywheel. Lastly, reducing friction and air resistance can also help to increase RPMs.

What are the potential risks of maximizing RPMs in a single cylinder flywheel?

Maximizing RPMs in a single cylinder flywheel can lead to increased wear and tear on the flywheel and other engine components. It can also cause the engine to overheat or fail if the RPMs are pushed too high. It is important to carefully consider the capabilities of the engine and flywheel before attempting to maximize RPMs.