I saw something unexplainable while soldering

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soldering
In summary, the conversation discusses a strange event that occurred during soldering, where fumes from the solder seemed to be attracted to and form a layer around a hot metal pearl. The person asking the question is a beginner in soldering and is using a soldering material with "Sn", "Pb", and "Cu". It is suggested that the fumes may have come from the flux core in the solder, which helps it to flow on the parts being soldered.
Jarfi
I am looking for physical explanations for an event I observed.

I am a beginner in soldering, bought some chapo solder iron, random solder tip and a soldering material with "Sn", "Pb" and "Cu" it seems. It's called "Elektronik Löndraht".

Now, when I was soldering tiny 2mm spaced circuit connectors, I noticed a strange thing, one of the silver colored metal balls next to the one I was soldering turned white goldish. It was a strange color, I touched it with the tip which is needle shaped and suddenly the "white layer" turned into smoke and dissipated.

It seems that fumes from soldering, accumulated and were attracted to the previously hot metal peral(maybe 1mm diameter) next to the one I was soldering.

I actually saw this happen, It just happened this one time and I have not been able to replicate the event.

Has anyone here ever experienced a similar thing, what exactly was I observing? Why would toxic fumes be attracted to and form a layer around a hot but solid metal pearl?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is most likely a flux core in your solder. Flux helps the solder to flow on the parts being soldered. When it is heated, it vaporizes. Some of the flux condenses on the cooler solder pad.

1. What did you see while soldering?

I saw a bright flash of light and heard a loud popping sound coming from the soldering iron.

2. Was it dangerous?

Yes, it can be dangerous to see a bright flash of light and hear a loud popping sound while soldering. It could be a sign of a short circuit or an electrical malfunction that can cause harm to the person soldering or damage to the equipment.

3. Could it have been an optical illusion?

It is possible that it could have been an optical illusion, but it is important to take precautions and investigate further to ensure the safety of the person and the equipment being used.

4. Is it common to see unexplainable things while soldering?

It is not common to see unexplainable things while soldering. However, it can happen due to various factors such as faulty equipment, improper techniques, or external environmental conditions.

5. What should I do if I see something unexplainable while soldering?

If you see something unexplainable while soldering, it is important to stop immediately and assess the situation. Check for any signs of damage or malfunction in the equipment and ensure that all safety measures are in place. If the issue persists, seek professional help or contact the manufacturer for further guidance.