What Changes in the Third Pivot When a3,3 Shifts from 7 to 11 in Linear Algebra?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pivots in linear algebra and how changing the value of a3,3 affects the third pivot. It is clarified that changing the value of a3,3 from 7 to 11 is not a multiplication, but a shift, resulting in the third pivot changing from 5 to 9. There is also confusion about the definition of a pivot and how it relates to the elimination process.
kostoglotov
Course: MIT OCW 18.06 Intro to Linear Algebra by Strang 4th edt.

Question: if a3,3 is 7, and the third pivot is 5, if we change a3,3 to be 11, then the third pivot becomes _________. If you change the a3,3 to ________ then there is no third pivot.

At first I thought a3,3 had to be the actual third pivot (yes?no?). Definitions for what a pivot is are muddled throughout the resources I've used, but the most solid definition I've found is from the course text itself and it says (to paraphrase):

1 >> The pivots are on the diagonal of the upper triangular matrix after elimination is complete whereby back substitution may begin

To not paraphrase it also says

2 >> "pivot = 1st nonzero in the row that does the elimination"

From the first definition, shouldn't a3,3 be the pivot?

If not, then perhaps there is a 5 leading the third row...ok. But then if we changed the 7 to an 11, that would be by multiplying all the elements of the row by a constant multiple, and the answer in the solutions guide says that changing a3,3 from 7 to 11 changes the pivot from 5 to 9...

I am clearly lacking some fundamental understanding in what a pivot is. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like when they say change ##a_{3,3}## from 7 to 11, they are not implying a multiplication, but a shift. (addition).
I am not fully versed on the notation and definitions you are using, but based on the example you gave, it looks like they are calling for addition.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt

1. What is a pivot in data analysis?

A pivot in data analysis is a technique used to summarize and reorganize large amounts of data into a more manageable and meaningful form. It involves selecting a key variable and then rearranging the data to show a different perspective or breakdown of the information.

2. How do I create a pivot table?

To create a pivot table, first select the data you want to analyze. Then, go to the "Insert" tab in your spreadsheet software and click on "Pivot Table." Choose the location for your pivot table and then select the fields you want to include in the table. Finally, customize the layout and format of your pivot table as desired.

3. What is the purpose of a pivot chart?

A pivot chart is a visual representation of data from a pivot table. It allows for a quick and easy understanding of the data and can help identify patterns, trends, and relationships between variables. Pivot charts are useful for presenting data to others and making data-driven decisions.

4. How can pivot tables help with data analysis?

Pivot tables can help with data analysis by allowing for quick and efficient summarization and organization of large datasets. They can also help identify patterns and trends in the data and make it easier to compare and analyze different variables.

5. What are some key features of a pivot table?

Some key features of a pivot table include the ability to filter, sort, and group data, as well as perform calculations and create visualizations. Pivot tables also allow for easy customization and updating as new data is added.