I want to be a professor, but is it a smart choice?

In summary,1) The odds of becoming a professor straight out of grad school are not very good.2) It is possible to become a professor in physics or engineering, but it takes a lot of work and you may not make a lot of money initially.3) You may be able to become a professor in engineering if you have a PhD in electrical engineering and a masters in physics.
Xyius
Hello,
I will try to keep it short here. I want to be a professor (Physics or Engineering) but from what I am reading, it seems like a large amount of work with little pay. I have a few questions about this topic and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it.

1.) What are the chances of being a professor straight out of grad school? My adviser said he did it, but that was back in the 70's and I feel like times have changed. I don't think this is possible anymore.

2.) Is it realistic to get a job in the industry (either private or government) and also be a lecturer on the side? I like the idea of teaching and preparing lectures, but not so much in always hunting for grants and struggling with trying to get tenure. I also don't like the relatively low pay until you are 10 years or so in.

My fiance and I are looking to get married and have kids soon, and I want a job that I can easily provide with. But I also want to teach so I am conflicted! Thanks for any responses.

EDIT:
I will have my PhD in electrical engineering as well as a masters in physics in about a years time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:
1.) What are the chances of being a professor straight out of grad school? My adviser said he did it, but that was back in the 70's and I feel like times have changed. I don't think this is possible anymore.

you DO understand that you don't just become a professor ?
go to university, work your way through a BSc, a MSc and a PHD, then you have the background to
look at a becoming a professor in your chosen field

Dave

davenn said:
you DO understand that you don't just become a professor ?
go to university, work your way through a BSc, a MSc and a PHD, then you have the background to
look at a becoming a professor in your chosen field

Dave

Yes, sorry I didn't state my current academic status as I wanted to keep the post short.

I will have my PhD in electrical engineering in a year and also obtain a masters in physics at the same time.

Likes davenn
OK cool
just didn't know where you were currently at. The way you wrote your post sounded as tho you thought it was just a job
and not something that was worked towards :wink:

best wishes for your future

Dave

Xyius said:
What are the chances of being a professor straight out of grad school?

In physics, you normally have to do at least one post-doc (probably more) before having a chance at a tenure-track faculty position at a research university. You might be able to get a teaching-oriented position at a 4-year bachelor's-only institution, straight out of grad school, depending on how desperate they are to find someone. But even these places can easily get > 100 applicants for a tenure-track position. I did a two-year "visiting assistant professor" gig at another college before I landed a tenure-track position, and that was over thirty years ago. You'd probably have to look for one or two of those, or some adjunct (part-time) positions in order to build up teaching experience.

Ending up with a tenure-track position is far from a sure thing. I went this route with the plan that if I didn't get a tenure-track job after a few years, I would switch to a programming job. But I was lucky and ended up teaching both physics and programming courses.

In engineering, things may be different.

Last edited:
I think 2) is a viable option. I know someone who went from new PhD to assistant professor, but that was not in physics or engineering. In addition, your reluctance to be happy hunting grants etc., and your desire to concentrate on teaching suggests industry or government labs and adjunct teaching can be a rewarding option. This may also pay better than option 1). I know people who taught community college mathematics and university physics as an adjunct prof while working full time at a lab.

1. Is being a professor a financially stable career choice?

It depends on several factors, such as the location, field of study, and level of experience. Generally, being a professor can provide a comfortable salary, but it may not be as lucrative as other professions. It's important to research and understand the salary expectations for your specific field and location.

2. How long does it take to become a professor?

It typically takes several years of education and experience to become a professor. A bachelor's degree, master's degree, and a PhD are usually required, which can take a minimum of 8-10 years to complete. Additionally, gaining teaching experience and publishing research papers can also take several years.

3. What are the job prospects for professors?

The job prospects for professors may vary depending on the field of study and location. However, the demand for professors is expected to increase in the coming years due to retirements and the growing number of students attending college. It's important to research the job market in your specific field before pursuing a career as a professor.

4. What are the responsibilities of a professor?

The responsibilities of a professor may vary depending on their field of study and the institution they work for. Generally, professors are responsible for teaching courses, conducting research, advising students, and participating in university committees. They may also be responsible for publishing research papers and securing grants for funding.

5. Is a PhD necessary to become a professor?

In most cases, a PhD is required to become a professor. However, there may be exceptions in certain fields and institutions. It's important to research the specific requirements for the type of professorship you are interested in pursuing. Keep in mind that a PhD can also provide valuable skills and knowledge that can benefit you in a variety of career paths.