I want to encase an ice sphere with an edible liquid flavored coating (for cocktails)

• Thread starter AstroBar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquid
AstroBar
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to figure out how to drop an ice sphere into an edible flavored liquid that directly solidifies into a perfect spherical coating over the ice. So that when it’s dropped into a cocktails it will slowly melt and give flavour and temperature regulation to the cocktail
I am trying to figure out how to drop an ice sphere into an edible flavored liquid that directly solidifies into a perfect spherical coating over the ice. So that when it’s dropped into a cocktails it will slowly melt and give flavour and temperature regulation to the cocktail

Physics news on Phys.org

Something like this - is what I’m among to do

Welcome, @AstroBar !

The easiest way is to freeze the edible flavored liquid in spherical molds.

For the way that you describe successfully work, the sphere of ice should be sub-frozen to a temperature low enough to force the liquid in contact with it to freeze, rather than melt the surface of the sphere.

Because of that, the edible flavored liquid (water-based mix, I assume) must be also cooled to near its freezing point, which is normally a lower temperature than for water.

Spraying the liquid over a rotating ice sphere should avoid heating the ice on a mass of warmer liquid.

Likes berkeman and DaveE
If you're going to do this repeatedly, maybe make a silicon mold to hold the ice sphere in place while you freeze the outer shell. Like a two piece hemispherical mold. Then a second step to fill in the support pedestal for the ice center. These molds are pretty easy DIY projects. There's lots of YouTube videos out there (many of which never seem to have heard of mold release; aka soap or oil film, if you don't want to buy the real stuff).

https://www.tapplastics.com/product_info/videos

Likes Lnewqban

1. How do I create an ice sphere for cocktails?

To create an ice sphere for cocktails, you can use a silicone ice mold specifically designed for making spherical ice. Simply fill the mold with water, freeze it, and then remove the ice sphere from the mold.

2. What type of edible liquid can I use to coat the ice sphere?

You can use a variety of edible liquids to coat the ice sphere, such as flavored syrups, fruit juices, or even alcohol-based mixtures. Be sure to choose a liquid that complements the flavors of your cocktail.

3. How do I encase the ice sphere with the edible liquid coating?

To encase the ice sphere with the edible liquid coating, you can either dip the ice sphere into the liquid or pour the liquid over the ice sphere. Make sure to do this quickly so that the coating solidifies and forms a smooth layer around the ice.

4. Will the edible liquid coating affect the temperature of the ice sphere?

Yes, the edible liquid coating may slightly affect the temperature of the ice sphere, especially if the coating is at room temperature. However, the ice sphere will still remain cold and provide a refreshing element to your cocktail.

5. How far in advance can I encase the ice sphere with the edible liquid coating?

You can encase the ice sphere with the edible liquid coating shortly before serving your cocktail to ensure that the coating remains intact and does not melt too quickly. It is best to prepare the ice spheres with the coating just before serving for optimal presentation and taste.