I want to focus on Fluid and/or soft body dynamics

University and Imperial College London are both top universities in Europe for studying fluid and soft body dynamics. In summary, the speaker has completed two bachelor's degrees in Physics and Mechanical Engineering, and is interested in pursuing a PhD in fluid and soft body dynamics. They are looking for recommendations for universities in Europe, preferably in Slovenia, and Cranfield University and Imperial College London are suggested as top options.
skrat
Hi,

I finished my first Bachelor in Physics, than continued my studies by finishing second bachelor in mechanical engineering.
I am a very enthusiastic pilot, maybe that's the reason why I'm pulled towards fluid dynamics and soft body dynamics.

Well my dilemma is the following: I don't know who to ask, where one can find a good university to study (PhD) fluid and/or soft body dynamics. I hope one of you might have a recommendation, so I can continue to pursue my dream and become a professional at one of these fields.

I am from Slovenia and according to my knowledge, nobody is really dedicated to either fluid or soft body dynamics. However I would like to stay in Europe, so in case you have a suggestion, I hope it is in Europe.

Thanks for all the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are fluid and soft body dynamics?

Fluid and soft body dynamics are subfields of physics that study the behavior of fluids and deformable objects, respectively. These fields use mathematical equations and computational simulations to understand and predict the movement and interactions of fluids and soft bodies.

2. How are fluid and soft body dynamics used in science?

Fluid and soft body dynamics have many applications in science, such as in weather forecasting, aerodynamics, and biomechanics. They are also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and animation to simulate and improve the behavior of fluids and soft objects.

3. What are some real-world examples of fluid and soft body dynamics?

Some examples of fluid dynamics in the real world include the flow of water in rivers, the movement of air in weather systems, and the behavior of blood in the human body. Soft body dynamics can be seen in the deformation of materials like rubber, clay, and human tissue, as well as the movement of animals and plants.

4. What are some challenges in studying fluid and soft body dynamics?

The complex nature of fluids and soft bodies makes them challenging to study. These systems are affected by many factors such as viscosity, surface tension, and elasticity, which can be difficult to accurately model and simulate. Additionally, the interactions between fluids and soft bodies can be highly nonlinear and chaotic, adding to the complexity of these systems.

5. How can understanding fluid and soft body dynamics benefit society?

Understanding fluid and soft body dynamics can lead to advancements in various fields, such as improved weather prediction, more efficient transportation systems, and better medical treatments. It can also help us design and develop new technologies, such as more realistic CGI in movies and video games, and more advanced prosthetics and robotics.