I want to interpolate two values in Excel

• Thread starter steven757
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary: Thanks.In summary, interpolation is a method for finding values that lie between known data points. In Excel, you can use the linear interpolation formula to calculate values between two given points. However, if the number of cells between the points varies, you can use the ROWS function to automatically adjust the number of cells in the calculation. This allows for more flexibility in the interpolation process.
steven757
Summary:: Interpolation

Hi,

I want to interpolate two values in Excel.

The first value is in cell "A1" and has the value "0". The second value is in cell "A20" and has the value "1".

I now want to interpolate the values in cells "A2" to "A19" in such a way that a linear straight line is created between the values "0" and "1".

The particular problem is that the cell numbers between "0" and "1" are not always the same size. Sometimes there are e.g. 10 cells between "0" and "1" and other times there are e.g. 25 cells between "0" and "1". Each interpolation has a different number of cells between the value "0" and the value "1".

Is it possible to create a formula that automatically takes into account the different numbers of cells between "0" and "1" and calculates the interpolation between "0" and "1"?

Many thanks for your help.

Steven

[Moderator's note: moved from a technical forum. Member has been advised to show some effort.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is no problem if you know the number of cells in between. If you don't, then create a column that only counts the cell: A1=1, A2=A1+1, A3=A2+1 etc. Then you can take the difference to know the number of cells, say N.

Likes FactChecker
Hi fresh_42,

Thanks for your simple advice. I have tried some other solutions but your simple approach is the best.

Thanks.

you could also use the ROW function (on the two end points) to find your number of cells between.

Likes hutchphd
Hi gmax137,

thanks for your great suggestion, I have tried it immediately and it works fine. But I use the ROWS function instead of the ROW function.

1. How do I interpolate two values in Excel?

To interpolate two values in Excel, you can use the built-in function called "FORECAST". This function uses linear regression to estimate a value between two known data points.

2. Can I interpolate multiple values in Excel?

Yes, you can interpolate multiple values in Excel by using the "FORECAST" function in a formula. You can specify the known data points and the desired x-value to be interpolated.

3. What is the difference between interpolation and extrapolation in Excel?

Interpolation in Excel involves estimating a value between two known data points, while extrapolation involves estimating a value outside of the known data range. It is important to note that extrapolation can be less accurate and should be used with caution.

4. Can I customize the interpolation method in Excel?

Yes, you can customize the interpolation method in Excel by using the "TREND" function instead of "FORECAST". This allows you to specify the type of regression (linear, polynomial, exponential, etc.) to use for the interpolation.

5. Is there a way to visualize the interpolated values in Excel?

Yes, you can visualize the interpolated values in Excel by creating a scatter plot with the known data points and the interpolated values. This can help you see the trend and accuracy of the interpolation.