I want to read about the electron nucleus interaction

In summary: Can anyone please point me at something that covers this, preferably online?There are many sources of information on quantum mechanics, but one that is particularly helpful for understanding the nucleus/electron interaction is a book called "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by Richard Feynman.
gnnmartin
My unreliable memory is that although Schrödinger's equation treats the interaction between an electron and the nucleus as unquantised, it is more generally thought to be mediated by an exchange of quanta between electron and nucleus. I want to check on this and get a better understanding. Can anyone please point me at something that covers this, preferably online? And if I am wrong about the exchange of quanta, please let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's one article about that subject, but I don't have the knowledge base to evaluate how good it is: http://www.actaphys.uj.edu.pl/fulltext?series=Reg&vol=48&page=2183

In short, the idea is to add radiative corrections to the semiclassical model where the nucleus and electron create Coulomb potentials proportional to ##1/r## around them. This leads to many kinds of things, such as formation of electron-positron or even muon-antimuon pairs, that affect the ground state energy of hydrogen by small amount.

hilbert2 said:
Here's one article about that subject, but I don't have the knowledge base to evaluate how good it is: http://www.actaphys.uj.edu.pl/fulltext?series=Reg&vol=48&page=2183

In short, the idea is to add radiative corrections to the semiclassical model where the nucleus and electron create Coulomb potentials proportional to ##1/r## around them. This leads to many kinds of things, such as formation of electron-positron or even muon-antimuon pairs, that affect the ground state energy of hydrogen by small amount.
Thanks. On a quick read I think that that is too advanced for my purpose: if I follow it correctly, it assume a quantised model and describes a refinement. It does make me think I should re-read QED: I read it ages ago and had remembered it as describing EM radiation in free space, but perhaps it covers nucleus/electron interaction.

gnnmartin said:
Thanks. On a quick read I think that that is too advanced for my purpose: if I follow it correctly, it assume a quantised model and describes a refinement. It does make me think I should re-read QED: I read it ages ago and had remembered it as describing EM radiation in free space, but perhaps it covers nucleus/electron interaction.

The problem of free waves is the simplest one, as the normal modes of the field behave like independent harmonic oscillators. When there's a Dirac field of fermions (electrons, muons, etc..) interacting with the EM field, it becomes a field system with nonlinear equations of motion and can't be solved exactly even if treated as a classical mechanics system. Therefore the perturbation theory with Feynman diagrams is used. Then you can deduce things like that the production of a muon-antimuon pair is much less likely than the production of an electron-positron pair, and that it is purely a result of the larger mass of a muon.

gnnmartin said:
My unreliable memory is that although Schrödinger's equation treats the interaction between an electron and the nucleus as unquantised
No. What you refer to is already an approximation, called the Born-Oppenheimer approximation. See the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born-Oppenheimer_approximation for a derivation of the latter from a full quantum Hamiltonian for the combined motion of electrons and nuclei.

Likes dextercioby

Related to I want to read about the electron nucleus interaction

1. What is the electron-nucleus interaction?

The electron-nucleus interaction refers to the force or interaction between an electron and the nucleus of an atom. This interaction plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of atoms and molecules.

2. How does the electron-nucleus interaction affect atomic structure?

The electron-nucleus interaction is responsible for keeping the electrons in orbit around the nucleus, thus determining the size and shape of an atom. It also dictates the energy levels of the electrons and their probability of being found in a particular location around the nucleus.

3. What are the main factors that influence the strength of the electron-nucleus interaction?

The strength of the electron-nucleus interaction depends on the distance between the electron and the nucleus, as well as the charges of the particles. The number of protons in the nucleus also plays a role, as a larger nuclear charge leads to a stronger interaction.

4. Can the electron-nucleus interaction be manipulated?

Yes, the strength of the electron-nucleus interaction can be altered by changing the composition of the atom. For example, adding or removing electrons can change the charge of the atom and therefore affect the strength of the interaction with the nucleus.

5. Why is understanding the electron-nucleus interaction important?

Understanding the electron-nucleus interaction is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It helps explain the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules, and allows scientists to make predictions and develop new technologies.