I want to rid myself of all emotion

• Thread starter Krunchyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emotion
In summary, emotions are confusing, illogical, and unnecessary. To rid oneself of them, one should become a completely logical being. This can be done by changing species, but may require professional help.
Krunchyman
I believe that emotions are confusing, illogical and unnecessary. I want to rid myself of all of them, fear, hate, love, happiness. How do I do so? I want to become a completely logical being.

Note that I am not asking to remove myself of intuition for intuition is a valuable tool.

Physics news on Phys.org
Krunchyman said:
I believe that emotions are confusing, illogical and unnecessary. I want to rid myself of all of them, fear, hate, love, happiness. How do I do so? I want to become a completely logical being.

Note that I am not asking to remove myself of intuition for intuition is a valuable tool.

Change species.

Along with the bad comes the good. And your goal is to eliminate the best part of life.

Ivan Seeking said:
Change species.

Along with the bad comes the good. And your goal is to eliminate the best part of life.

The benefits of pure logic outweigh the benefits of emotion. It is the only way I can avoid the emotional mistakes I've made in my past.

I only want to experience happiness. I've had enough of feeling neutral/sad for the last two years. ;)

StevieTNZ said:
I only want to experience happiness. I've had enough of feeling neutral/sad for the last two years. ;)

Stevie, I can't do it right now, but I will PM you about this subject within the next couple of days. I have extensive personal experience in the matter, and it is not at all simple.
To any Mentors or other concerned PFers, I assure you that I will not offer medical advice or anything else that requires professional qualifications. Merely peer counseling.

Krunchyman, same for you. I don't want to put my stuff out in public, but maybe I can help you a wee bit on a personal level.

The knowledgeable man learns something new every day,
The wise man forgets something new every day.
Lao Tzu

People often look at me crosseyed when I quote that. What Lao Tzu is referring to is forgetting your bad habits. He even goes on later to say, "forget your habits and simplify your affairs." Not just habits like biting your nails or drinking either but, more to the point bad habits of thought that we all collect without a second's hesitation.

A cyclone is a common Asian metaphor for the human psyche. Around the calm center of the storm fly all our beliefs in a riotous cacophony as they collide with each other. The more we clutch any of them the deeper we get drawn into the maelstrom. Since its just a habit we've acquired there is no particular method for letting go of our beliefs. Whatever works for you works, but simplifying your lifestyle somewhat and consciously refraining from feeding the beast is a place to start.

Krunchyman said:
The benefits of pure logic outweigh the benefits of emotion. It is the only way I can avoid the emotional mistakes I've made in my past.

Were your mistakes really so terrible? Did anyone die? Did you destroy any lives?

If you do it, you will never get laid again. How is that logical?

emotions and logic are not mutually exclusive. Logic is born out of emotional desires. Without them, you'd have no motivation to be logical.

Avoid extremes. Overcome desire or craving. Adopt moderation.

The best advice is to talk to a professional. Get help, a school counselor, if you're religious, talk to the pastor or whatever in your church, if you trust your parents talk to them. We don't know anything about you and cannot help you. Good luck to you, I hope you get better.

1. Why would someone want to rid themselves of all emotion?

There could be a variety of reasons why someone may want to rid themselves of all emotion. Some people may feel that their emotions are too overwhelming or that they negatively impact their decision-making. Others may have experienced trauma or have a mental health condition that causes intense emotions, leading them to want to eliminate them completely.

2. Is it possible to completely rid oneself of all emotion?

While it may be possible to suppress or numb one's emotions, it is not possible to completely rid oneself of all emotion. Emotions are a natural and essential part of being human, and trying to eliminate them entirely can have negative consequences on a person's mental and physical well-being.

3. What are the potential consequences of ridding oneself of all emotion?

Eliminating all emotions can have severe consequences on a person's mental and physical health. Emotions serve as important signals and cues to guide our actions and decisions. Without them, a person may struggle with decision-making, forming and maintaining relationships, and experiencing pleasure or joy in life.

4. Are there any benefits to getting rid of all emotions?

While some people may believe that eliminating all emotions can bring them peace or relief, there are no significant benefits to getting rid of all emotions. Emotions are a fundamental part of the human experience and serve important purposes. Learning to manage and regulate emotions in a healthy way can lead to greater overall well-being.

5. What are some alternatives to getting rid of all emotion?

Instead of trying to eliminate all emotions, a person can learn to manage and regulate their emotions in healthy ways. This can include therapy, mindfulness practices, and developing coping strategies. It is also important to address any underlying issues that may be causing intense emotions and seek support from loved ones and mental health professionals.