I wiht my assignment on the physics of a drum

In summary, the conversation is about a student in year 10 asking for help with their assignment on the physics of drums. Another user offers to answer questions and provides several websites as resources for the assignment. The student expresses gratitude for the help.
jackwilliams
hey, i am in year 10 and i am doing an assignment on the physics of drums. if anyone knows anything that can help me that would be great. thanks.

jack (jackio_14@hotmail.com)

Physics news on Phys.org
If u can pose a question I may answer that. What's ur problem?

Here are a few websites about physics of drums, to get you started..
(jusk click on the blue underlined text to see the reference). You can also find more using your favorite search engine with keywords "drums" and "physics".

Animations showing the various modes of ahttp://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/Demos/MembraneCircle/Circle.html (drum).. This one illustrates some nice animations of modes of resonance for a drum.

how about http://www.physics.usask.ca/~hirose/ep225/animation/drum/anim-drum.htm in a drum membrane.. This one goes into some basic equations for standing waves of a drum.

How about one on the http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Stu/mjavadif/mec104/#physics ..
Here are a few topics they go into: Intro to Drums, Physics of the Drum, Resonant Energy Transfer/Resonance, Drums and their Pitches, Tuning of Drums.

Hope some of these websites may be helpful. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

thanks sooo much u saved me

Related to I wiht my assignment on the physics of a drum

1. What is the physics behind the sound produced by a drum?

The sound produced by a drum is a result of the vibration of the drumhead and the air inside the drum. When the drum is struck, the drumhead vibrates at a specific frequency, which produces sound waves. These sound waves travel through the air and reach our ears, allowing us to hear the sound of the drum.

2. How does the size of a drum affect its sound?

The size of a drum affects its sound in several ways. The larger the drum, the lower the pitch of the sound produced. This is because a larger drum has a larger surface area, which allows for slower vibrations and lower frequencies. Additionally, the thickness of a drumhead also affects the sound. Thicker drumheads produce a lower pitch, while thinner drumheads produce a higher pitch.

3. What is the role of tension in the physics of a drum?

Tension plays a crucial role in the physics of a drum. The tension of the drumhead determines the frequency at which it vibrates and the pitch of the sound produced. Higher tension results in a higher pitch, while lower tension produces a lower pitch. Tension also affects the sustain of the drum, with higher tension providing a shorter sustain and vice versa.

4. How do different drum materials affect the sound?

The material of a drum affects its sound in various ways. For example, metal drums produce a brighter and more resonant sound compared to wooden drums. This is because metal is a more rigid material, allowing for faster vibrations and higher frequencies. On the other hand, wooden drums produce a warmer and more mellow sound due to the material's ability to absorb some of the vibrations.

5. What are the different types of drumstick tips and their impact on the sound?

There are three main types of drumstick tips: round, oval, and acorn. The shape of the tip can affect the sound of the drum. Round tips produce a brighter and more articulate sound, while oval and acorn tips produce a warmer and more mellow sound. Additionally, the material of the tip (wood, nylon, or felt) can also impact the sound, with each material producing a different tone and volume.