Ice added to water at 273K, calculate new ice mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the new mass of ice when 0.1kg of ice at 263K is added to 1kg of water at 273K. The poster also asks if the same method can be used for any phase change regardless of direction. Another poster confirms that this is possible and clarifies that at the temperature of the phase transition, both phases coexist and the amount of one phase can only change with exchange of heat from outside the system.
mertzi
Member warned about lack of template
Hi! I'm new here and I can't find anything helpful through google so I thought I'd give PF a try. Sorry for not using the template fully but I have no ideas on how to solve this problem.

1. 0.1kg ice at 263K is added to 1kg water at 273K. Calculate new mass of the ice.

2. I know how to do this calculation if the water temperature is higher than 273K, but then I got this problem where the water is already at 273K (0°C) therefore no change in temperature so I can't use Q=c⋅m⋅ΔT or at least I can't get my brain around how. Is there an "opposite direction" enthalpy formula? As I have understood it this situation will actually increase the mass of the ice since energy will be released when the ice is heated to 273K.

3. Can I do this the other way around i.e. calculate how much water needs to turn to ice to heat the ice to 273K?

ΔQ=cice⋅mice⋅ΔT = 2.2kJ/(kg⋅K)⋅0.1kg⋅10K = 2.2kJ
Then
2.2kJ = m⋅Lwater
m = 2.2/332 ≈ 6.6⋅10-3kg

mice total = mice 0+mice 2 = 0.1+6.6⋅10-3 = 0.1066kg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
Look up latent heat.
thank you, I'm uncertain if this is the same we have been thought about enthalpy because in our tables we have these specific formulas for phase changes with lower case l. Like ΔQ=lmm and ΔQ=lvm (m=melt, v=vaporize).

I've made an attempt at a solution in my OP, can I use this method for any phase change regardless of "direction"?

Last edited:
mertzi said:
I've made an attempt at a solution in my OP,
I would advise against editing the OP. Things are easier to follow if the development can be seen in the replies.

mertzi said:
can I use this method for any phase change regardless of "direction"?
Yes. For example, the heat of "melting" can be used both for melting and for solidification.

Thank you

Here is my first attempt on a solution, I suspect something is missing.

ΔQ=cice⋅mice⋅ΔT = 2.2kJ/(kg⋅K)⋅0.1kg⋅10K = 2.2kJ
Then
2.2kJ = m⋅Lwater
m = 2.2/332 ≈ 6.6⋅10-3kg

mice total = mice 0+mice 2 = 0.1+6.6⋅10-3 = 0.1066kg

That looks fine.

Likes mertzi
DrClaude said:
That looks fine.

Woo hoo, thank you! Knowing these properties go any direction clears up a lot of confusion. One final question just to see if I've understood everything correctly. If both ice and water is 273K from the start then nothing will happen?

mertzi said:
If both ice and water is 273K from the start then nothing will happen?
Correct. At the temperature of the phase transition, both phases coexist. The amount of one phase or the other can then only change if there is exchange of heat with something outside the system.

Likes mertzi

1. How does the temperature affect the amount of ice that can be added to water?

The temperature of the water will determine how much ice can be added before it begins to melt. At 273K, also known as the freezing point of water, the maximum amount of ice that can be added is equal to the original mass of water.

2. What happens if the water is above 273K?

If the water is above 273K, it is considered to be above the freezing point and the ice added will begin to melt. The final mass of ice will depend on the original mass of water and the temperature of the water.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating the new ice mass?

Yes, the formula for calculating the new ice mass is: (original mass of water - final mass of water) = final mass of ice. This formula takes into account the mass of water that has turned into ice and the amount of ice that has melted.

4. What other factors can affect the amount of ice that can be added to water at 273K?

Other factors that may affect the amount of ice that can be added include the container the water is in, the rate of heat transfer, and any impurities in the water. These factors can impact the rate at which the ice melts and the final mass of ice.

5. Can this experiment be replicated with different temperatures?

Yes, this experiment can be replicated with different temperatures. The freezing point of water and the amount of ice that can be added will vary depending on the temperature of the water. This can be a fun and educational experiment to explore the properties of water and how they change with temperature.