Idea of generating electricity

In summary, the conversation discusses using a 2kW motor to power a 50kW generator for profit by selling excess electricity to the grid. However, it is deemed impossible as the motor would burn out and the idea of getting more power out than put in is not feasible. The conversation also touches on the concept of motor power output and the relationship between current and power in electric motors.
cbratus
hello to everyone, first of all I apologies for my bad english

the idea is - i will use 2 KW motor to spin a 50 KW alternator or generator.
the cost to buy electricity is 17 p/kWh and to sell it to the grid is 5.1 p/kWh
so my motor will use 48 kW in 24h with a cost of 8.16 pounds in 24 hours of electricity and the generator will produce 1200 kW in 24 hours, maybe less around 1000 kW which means 50 pounds a day. so the profit will be around 40 pounds a day
what do you say about that?
will it work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nope. a 2kW rated motor drawing 50kW will burn up.

An exercise for thought: Why is so much effort put into mining fossil fuels and etc. when power plants could just do what you are describing? The answer of course is because what you are describing is impossible. You would be getting more power out than put in.

Averagesupernova said:
. You would be getting more power out than put in.
ant that is the idea to get out much more power than put in. I have seen 50 kW generator being very easy to spin by hand. and if the generator is producing the maximum power at 750 rpm, a 2 kw motor with 2800 rpm and a gear box to increase the power and to reduce the rpm to 750 will it still burn up?

cbratus said:
ant that is the idea to get out much more power than put in. I have seen 50 kW generator being very easy to spin by hand. and if the generator is producing the maximum power at 750 rpm, a 2 kw motor with 2800 rpm and a gear box to increase the power and to reduce the rpm to 750 will it still burn up?

You need to spend some time reading about how electrical motors are rated for power output and what the relationship between current in and power out for an electric motor is.

Thread locked.

Likes Bystander

Related to Idea of generating electricity

1. What is the idea behind generating electricity?

The idea behind generating electricity is to convert a form of energy into electrical energy that can be used to power devices and appliances. This is typically done through the use of generators, which use mechanical energy to create an electrical current.

2. What are the different methods of generating electricity?

There are several methods of generating electricity, including fossil fuel power plants, nuclear power plants, hydroelectric power plants, wind turbines, and solar panels. These methods utilize different sources of energy, such as coal, water, wind, or sunlight, to produce electricity.

3. How does electricity generation impact the environment?

The impact of electricity generation on the environment varies depending on the method used. Fossil fuel power plants, for example, produce greenhouse gas emissions and contribute to climate change. On the other hand, renewable energy sources like wind and solar have a much lower impact on the environment.

4. What is the role of electricity in our daily lives?

Electricity plays a crucial role in our daily lives, as it powers many of the devices and appliances we use, such as lights, computers, phones, and kitchen appliances. It also enables us to access modern forms of transportation, like electric cars and trains.

5. What advancements have been made in electricity generation technology?

There have been many advancements in electricity generation technology in recent years, particularly in the development of renewable energy sources. This includes improvements in solar panel efficiency, the use of battery storage to store excess energy, and the development of new wind turbine designs. There has also been a focus on making electricity generation more sustainable and reducing its impact on the environment.