Ideal fluid flow velocities & pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the flow of air through a tube and the use of Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation to calculate the air speed at point 1. The formula A1V1=A2V2 is used to determine the ratio of the two velocities, and the known change in pressure from a mercury manometer is used to solve for V1. The calculations become complicated due to units, but with the correct equations and conversions, the air speed can be determined. The conversation ends with a plea for help to finish the problem.
cheddar87
1. Air at 0∘C flows through the tube shown in the figure. Assume that air is an ideal fluid. What is the air speed v1 at point 1?2. Formulas: A1V1=A2V2, ΔP + 1/2ρΔV2, ρgΔh3. My first through process was to calculate the change in pressure in the mercury as the change in pressure in the mercury would correspond to the change in pressure from points 1 to 2. So i did this using ΔP+ ρgh=0 and calculated the Δp= 13,328 Pascals or .1315 atms. Then this is where i got stuck. I am not sure what to do now that I have the change in pressure. I thought my next step would be:

ΔP+ 1/2ρΔV2------> ΔP= -1/2ρΔV2----> 13,328=-1/2ρΔV2
to calculate the change in velocity from points 1 to 2 but I got caught up in units and the calculations ended up being messy so I don't think I am on the right track. I know I have the areas and I am sure those will come into the equation when I find one of the velocities but I am kind of stuck at this point

Attachments

• figure 1.jpg
    figure 1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
cheddar87 said:
1. Air at 0∘C flows through the tube shown in the figure. Assume that air is an ideal fluid. What is the air speed v1 at point 1?2. Formulas: A1V1=A2V2, ΔP + 1/2ρΔV2, ρgΔh3. My first through process was to calculate the change in pressure in the mercury as the change in pressure in the mercury would correspond to the change in pressure from points 1 to 2. So i did this using ΔP+ ρgh=0 and calculated the Δp= 13,328 Pascals or .1315 atms. Then this is where i got stuck. I am not sure what to do now that I have the change in pressure. I thought my next step would be:

ΔP+ 1/2ρΔV2------> ΔP= -1/2ρΔV2----> 13,328=-1/2ρΔV2
to calculate the change in velocity from points 1 to 2 but I got caught up in units and the calculations ended up being messy so I don't think I am on the right track. I know I have the areas and I am sure those will come into the equation when I find one of the velocities but I am kind of stuck at this point
We can't help unless you show all your calculations.

What units did you get caught up in? Did you try to convert to the same units?

I figured out the next calculation, here's what i have so far

Δp+ ρgh=0---> Δp= -ρgh----> Δp= - {13,600 kg/m3* 9.8m/s2 * -.1m)----> Δp= 13,328 pascals
and
ΔP= -1/2ρΔV2---> 2ΔP/ρ= -ΔV2----> 2 * 13,328kg/ms2/1.28kg/m3= -ΔV2-----> 26656kg/ms2/1.28kg/m3=-ΔV2-------> 20825m2/s2= -ΔV2

this is where I am stuck. I have the change in velocity but I am not quite sure how to get Velocity 1.

omg can someone pleaaaaaaaaaaaase help me. 4 hours later and I still can't finish the problem

cheddar87 said:
omg can someone pleaaaaaaaaaaaase help me. 4 hours later and I still can't finish the problem
If you write the correct Bernoulli equation for this apparatus, you should get:

p1 + ρV21 = p2 + ρV22

You'll need to calculate (or look up) the density of air at 0° C to obtain ρ.

You have already determined what p2 - p1 should be from the mercury manometer.

The continuity equation can tell you what the ratio of V1 to V2 must be.

I already did all of that^^ and I have what the change in velocity is. And that's where I am stuck. I don't know how to turn the velocity difference of 144 m/s into V1

and I don't see how to manipulate A1V1=A2V2 to fit into this whole equation

cheddar87 said:
and I don't see how to manipulate A1V1=A2V2 to fit into this whole equation
You don't have to fit the continuity equation into the Bernoulli equation.

SteamKing said:
The continuity equation can tell you what the ratio of V1 to V2 must be.

If you know the ratio of V1 to V2, you can eliminate one of the velocities from the Bernoulli equation and calculate the other. Since the problem asks what V1 is, V2 is the quantity you want to eliminate.

1. What is ideal fluid flow?

Ideal fluid flow is a theoretical concept used to describe the motion of a fluid without accounting for any friction or viscosity. In an ideal fluid, there is no energy loss due to internal friction, and the flow is considered to be steady, uniform, and irrotational.

2. What is the equation for ideal fluid flow?

The equation for ideal fluid flow is the Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total pressure of a fluid remains constant along a streamline. This equation is represented as P + 1/2ρv² + ρgh = constant, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

3. What is the relationship between fluid velocity and pressure in ideal fluid flow?

In ideal fluid flow, there is an inverse relationship between fluid velocity and pressure. As the velocity of the fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. This is known as the Bernoulli's principle.

4. What is the ideal fluid flow velocity?

The ideal fluid flow velocity is the speed at which a fluid moves without any energy loss due to friction or viscosity. In an ideal fluid, the velocity remains constant along a streamline and is determined by the flow rate and cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel.

5. How does the ideal fluid flow velocity affect the rate of flow?

The ideal fluid flow velocity directly affects the rate of flow. As the velocity increases, the rate of flow also increases. This is because, in an ideal fluid, the flow rate is directly proportional to the fluid velocity.