Ideal gas and final temperature

In summary, the conversation is about finding the final temperature of an ideal gas after heat is added and the internal energy increases by a factor of three. The equation U=3/2nKT is used and the question is asked about what happens to T when the internal energy is tripled. The conversation suggests that the number of molecules remains constant and the final temperature can be found by solving the equation 3(3/2 * k * T)= 3/2 * k * T.
cathliccat
I have the question, "Heat is added to an ideal gas at 20 degrees C. If the internal energy of the gas increases by a factor of three - what is the final temperature (in degrees C) round off to the nearest whole number?"

I know U=3/2NkT or U= 3/2nRT
I see I have 3U and I need to convert 20 degrees C to 293.15K, all the other units are the same. I know k = 1.38 X 10^-23 and somewhere it says what R is. I thought if I set the same equation = to each other I could get the answer, 3(3/2 * k * T)= 3/2 * k * T, but I'm not getting anything feasible. What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Carissa

Physics news on Phys.org
In U=3/2nKT, only T is a variable, all other quantities are constant. So if U~T, is you triple the internal energy what happens to T? Well if 3/2nK is a constant, the number of molecules doesn't change so this should be true, what happens to T? That is the question you should be asking yourself.
Cheers,
Ryan

First, let's clarify that the equation U = 3/2NkT or U = 3/2nRT is the equation for the internal energy of an ideal gas. This equation assumes that the gas is in a state of constant temperature and volume, and that there are no external forces acting on the gas particles.

Now, to solve the problem, we can use the equation for the internal energy and set it equal to 3 times the original internal energy (since it is stated that the internal energy increases by a factor of three). So we have:

3U = 3(3/2NkT) or 3U = 3(3/2nRT)

Next, we can substitute in the given information that the initial temperature is 20 degrees C (or 293.15K). So the equation becomes:

3U = 3(3/2Nk(293.15)) or 3U = 3(3/2nR(293.15))

Now, we can solve for the final temperature (T) by dividing both sides by 3 and then plugging in the known values for N or n, k, and R:

T = (3U)/(3(3/2)Nk) or T = (3U)/(3(3/2)nR)

Since the question asks for the final temperature in degrees Celsius, we can convert the final temperature from Kelvin to Celsius by subtracting 273.15 from the final temperature in Kelvin.

So the final temperature in degrees Celsius would be:

T = [(3U)/(3(3/2)Nk)] - 273.15 or T = [(3U)/(3(3/2)nR)] - 273.15

Note: The value of R depends on the units used for pressure and volume. In this problem, we are not given information about the pressure or volume, so we cannot determine the exact value of R. However, we can use the value of R for ideal gases, which is 8.314 J/mol·K.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion and leads you to the correct answer. Remember to always double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. Good luck!

Related to Ideal gas and final temperature

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other. It follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas.

2. What factors affect the final temperature of an ideal gas?

The final temperature of an ideal gas is affected by the initial temperature, pressure, volume, and number of moles of the gas. It is also influenced by any changes in these variables during the process.

3. How is the final temperature of an ideal gas calculated?

The final temperature of an ideal gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the product of temperature and number of moles.

4. Why is the final temperature of an ideal gas often lower than the initial temperature?

An ideal gas will often experience a decrease in temperature during a process due to the gas expanding and doing work on its surroundings. This results in a decrease in the internal energy of the gas, leading to a lower final temperature.

5. Can the final temperature of an ideal gas ever be higher than the initial temperature?

Yes, it is possible for the final temperature of an ideal gas to be higher than the initial temperature. This can occur when the gas is compressed and work is done on the gas, increasing its internal energy and resulting in a higher final temperature.