Ideal gas equation and boyle's law

In summary, the problem involves calculating the temperature in Kelvin to lift off a hot-air balloon with a mass of 289 kg (excluding hot air) and a volume of 890 m3. The outside air has a pressure of 1.01 x 105 Pa and a density of 1.29 kg/m3. The heated air inside the balloon needs to have the same pressure as the outside air. The molecular mass of air is 29 u. The solution involves using the ideal gas law and the formula for buoyant force.
moeraeleizhaj
The mass of a hot-air balloon and its occupants is 289 kg (excluding the hot air inside the balloon). The air outside the balloon has a pressure of 1.01 x 105 Pa and a density of 1.29 kg/m3. To lift off, the air inside the balloon is heated. The volume of the heated balloon is 890 m3. The pressure of the heated air remains the same as that of the outside air. To what temperature in Kelvin must the air be heated so that the balloon just lifts off? The molecular mass of air is 29 u.

Hi, can anyone help me with this question please?
I think it has something to do with the the ideal gas equation (PV=nRT)?
and boyle's law. Can anyone help me start this question

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi moeraeleizhaj,

moeraeleizhaj said:
The mass of a hot-air balloon and its occupants is 289 kg (excluding the hot air inside the balloon). The air outside the balloon has a pressure of 1.01 x 105 Pa and a density of 1.29 kg/m3. To lift off, the air inside the balloon is heated. The volume of the heated balloon is 890 m3. The pressure of the heated air remains the same as that of the outside air. To what temperature in Kelvin must the air be heated so that the balloon just lifts off? The molecular mass of air is 29 u.

Hi, can anyone help me with this question please?
I think it has something to do with the the ideal gas equation (PV=nRT)?

Yes, you will need the ideal gas law (unless they want you to use something more accurate).

and boyle's law. Can anyone help me start this question

I don't think boyle's law will help much here, since the appropriate volume is given and the pressure is constant. This problem is about the buoyant force due to hot air. What is the formula for the buoyant force, and what does it need to equal for the balloon to just rise? What answer do you get?

?

Sure, I can help you with this question. First, let's start by understanding the ideal gas equation and Boyle's law. The ideal gas equation, PV=nRT, relates the pressure (P), volume (V), amount of gas (n), and temperature (T) of an ideal gas. Boyle's law states that at a constant temperature, the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional.

In this scenario, we can use the ideal gas equation to calculate the temperature needed for the balloon to lift off. First, we need to find the amount of gas (n) inside the balloon. We can do this by subtracting the mass of the balloon and occupants (289 kg) from the total mass of the balloon and heated air (289 kg + 890 m3 x 1.29 kg/m3 = 1160.1 kg). This gives us a mass of 871.1 kg of air inside the balloon.

Next, we can use Boyle's law to set up an equation with the outside pressure and the pressure of the heated air, which we know is the same. This can be written as P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 is the outside pressure (1.01 x 105 Pa) and V1 is the volume of the balloon (890 m3). P2 and V2 represent the pressure and volume of the heated air, respectively.

Now, we can plug in the values we know into this equation and solve for the unknown temperature (T). This gives us T = (P1V1)/(nR), where R is the ideal gas constant (8.314 J/mol·K). Plugging in the values, we get T = (1.01 x 105 Pa x 890 m3)/(871.1 kg x 8.314 J/mol·K) = 1096.5 K.

Therefore, the air inside the balloon needs to be heated to a temperature of 1096.5 K (823.4 °C or 1523.1 °F) in order for the balloon to just lift off. I hope this helps and gives you a starting point for solving the question!

What is the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation, also known as the General Gas Equation, is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature.

What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law is a gas law that states that at constant temperature, the volume of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. This means that as the pressure of a gas increases, its volume decreases, and vice versa. It is mathematically represented as P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume.

How do you apply the Ideal Gas Equation to Boyle's Law?

The Ideal Gas Equation can be used to explain Boyle's Law by rearranging the equation to PV = constant, which means that at a constant temperature and number of moles, the product of pressure and volume remains constant. This is why as the pressure increases, the volume must decrease to maintain the constant value.

What are the assumptions of the Ideal Gas Equation?

The Ideal Gas Equation is based on the following assumptions: 1) The gas particles are in constant, random motion; 2) The volume of the gas particles is negligible compared to the volume of the container; 3) There are no intermolecular forces between the gas particles; and 4) The collisions between gas particles and the container walls are perfectly elastic.

What is an ideal gas and how is it different from a real gas?

An ideal gas is a hypothetical gas that follows the Ideal Gas Equation perfectly under all conditions. In contrast, a real gas does not exactly follow the Ideal Gas Equation due to deviations from its assumptions. Real gases have non-negligible particle volume, intermolecular forces, and non-elastic collisions, which can affect their behavior. However, under certain conditions, real gases can behave similarly to ideal gases, making the Ideal Gas Equation a useful approximation.