Ideal gas law and moles of air

In summary, the conversation discusses using the ideal gas law to calculate the number of moles of air that escape from a sealed container after it is heated to thermal equilibrium in boiling water and then opened. The initial temperature and pressure of the air in the container are given, and the conversation also mentions using a T-s diagram to understand the relationship between temperature and pressure. The final result is finding the difference between the initial and final number of moles of air in the container.
jincy34
[SOLVED] Ideal gas law

Please help. I don't know what to do.
The air temperature and pressure in a laboratory are 23°C and 1.2 atm. A 1.67 L container is open to the air. The container is then sealed and placed in a bath of boiling water. After reaching thermal equilibrium, the container is open. How many moles of air escape?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by quoting the ideal gas law.
How much molecules of air are in the container at first?
What does it mean to have thermal equilibrium in the vessel when it's in the boiling water?
What will happen after you take it out and open it (what does the ideal gas law say about this)?

I did the first part using PV=nrt, and found the # of moles to be 0.0825. But, I don't know what is different after the container is open.

Now warm up your air till 100°C (or even more at 1,2 bar) and calculate the pressure at constant volume and constant n.

What happens when you open the container?

I have a feeling that P will drop to 1,2 bar, but T will drop too. I would say, look at your T-s diagram using isenthalpic or isentropic expansion.

Then you have P and T and you can calculate n.

Last edited:
I don't understand. I am looking for moles of air that escape. how can it be constant?

Because at first the container is closed. They just can't escape!

I tried that answer. It is wrong.

What did you do exactly?

You have to calculate n2 and substract n1-n2=...

So, what's your initial pressure?

Last edited:
I just calculated n1. how do i find n2? I am confused. You said moles were constant.

Okay here goes:

You put the air inside the thing. Then you warm it up. Everything is closed you know!
Now you warm it up. What will happen first?

You didn't open the container yet.

You will find that V is constant because you didn't open the container and the container isn't shrinking or anything.

n is also constant because the air can't escape.

T will go up and therefore P will go up. Now I ask you to calculate this P. You'll have to calculate T first of course! And it isn't 100°C... it's higher, search it up. What's the boiling point of water at 1,2 bar?

Last edited:
I got 153182.03 Pa.

Looking normal.

Now second step:

You open the container.

n2 will become lower = the amount of molecules inside the container.
P will become 1,2 bar again.
T will become lower. Calculate the T from your T-s diagram.
V = cte

n1-n2 = the amount of molecules that went away.

Now how to read this T-s diagram? You start from ~100°C and 1,5 bar and you go to 1,2 bar. I would try isentropic expansion. So go vertically down till 1,2 bar and look at the T.

Last edited:
If it is thermal equilibrium, wouldn't T be the same. Or is it room temperature?

Oh you mean it stays at 100°C? Yeah maybe they meant that.

So then you would have 1,2 bar, 100°C. => n2 = ...
n1 = 0,08
n1-n2=...??

(then I wonder, why did they seal it then?)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.

Related to Ideal gas law and moles of air

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It is given by the formula PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. How is the ideal gas law used in scientific research?

The ideal gas law is used to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or volume. It is also used to calculate the number of moles of a gas present in a given sample, which is essential in many chemical reactions and experiments.

3. What are moles of air?

Moles of air refers to the amount of air present in a given volume, based on the ideal gas law. It is a unit of measurement used to represent the number of gas particles (atoms or molecules) in a sample of air, rather than the volume or mass of the air itself.

4. How does the number of moles of air affect gas behavior?

The number of moles of air present in a gas sample has a direct impact on its behavior, as described by the ideal gas law. As the number of moles increases, the volume and pressure of the gas also increase, while the temperature remains constant. Similarly, if the number of moles decreases, the volume and pressure of the gas decrease as well.

5. What are some real-world applications of the ideal gas law and moles of air?

The ideal gas law and moles of air have many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and meteorology. They are used to study the behavior of gases in various industrial processes, to design and operate gas-powered engines, and to predict weather patterns based on the properties of air molecules. They are also essential in understanding the composition and behavior of Earth's atmosphere.