How Much Magnesium is Needed for 40 mL of Hydrogen Gas Production?

In summary, the question is asking for the amount of Mg needed to react with HCl to produce 40 mL of hydrogen gas at 22 degrees Celsius and 1.02 bar. Using the ideal gas law, the calculation is done to find the number of moles of Mg needed, which is then converted to grams using the molar mass of Mg. The conversion factor is given as 0.836 mg/mm for the Mg ribbon, so the final step is to convert the mass of Mg to the required length of the ribbon, which is 47.85 mm.
kirsten_2009

Homework Statement

Determine how many grams of Mg must react with HCl in order to produce 40 mL of hydrogen gas at 22 degrees Celsius and 1.02 bar. Also, If the Mg ribbon weighs 0.836 mg/mm, how many mm of the ribbon will you require?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

Mg(s) + 2HCl(aq) --> MgCl2(aq) + H2(g)

The Attempt at a Solution

n=PV/RT
n= (1.00 atm)(0.04 L) / (0.0821 L*atm/mol*K)(295.15 K)
n= 0.04/24.232 = 0.0016507098 mol * 24.3050 g/mol = 0.040 g Mg

40 mg x 1mm / 0.836mg = 47.85mm

Correct? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Result looks OK to me, calculations are rather confusing.

kirsten_2009 said:
n= (1.00 atm)(0.04 L) / (0.0821 L*atm/mol*K)(295.15 K)

Let's say it is OK, although 1 atm is not exactly equal to 1.02 bar.

n= 0.04/24.232 = 0.0016507098 mol * 24.3050 g/mol

And that's where you have lost me. What is 0.04 and where did you get it from? What is 24.232 and where did you get it from? They have no units, so I would have to guess what they are, plus, they don't follow from the previous line.

Hello,

Yes, I see what you are saying. I will add the units and be more specific with my pressure conversion.

the 0.04 comes from 0.04L x 1.00 atm and the 24.232 comes from (0.0821 L*atm/mol*K)*(295.15 K). Thanks for your help! :)

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of a gas. It is represented as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do you calculate the ideal gas law?

To calculate the ideal gas law, you need to know the values of pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of the gas. Plug these values into the equation PV = nRT and solve for the missing variable. Make sure to use the correct units for each variable, such as atmospheres for pressure, liters for volume, and Kelvin for temperature.

3. What are the units for the ideal gas law?

The units for the ideal gas law depend on the values used for each variable. Pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and the number of moles is unitless. The gas constant, R, has units of L·atm/mol·K.

4. What assumptions are made in the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that the gas particles have no volume or intermolecular forces, and that the collisions between particles are perfectly elastic. It also assumes that the gas is at a low enough pressure and high enough temperature that it behaves like an ideal gas.

5. What is the significance of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics and is used to understand and predict the behavior of gases in various situations. It is used in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering, to calculate properties of gases, such as pressure, volume, and temperature.