Ideal gas pressure from Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution

In summary: You said that: The number of particles in that region is proportional to that volume. So by finding the number of particle which will hit the wall in the next ##\Delta t## seconds I can find the volume? The number of particle which will hit the wall should be equal to: $$dn_{x}=\Delta tv_{x}f(\mathrm{\textbf{v}})dv_{x}dv_{y}dv_{z}$$ with $$\mathrm{\textbf{v}}=\begin{bmatrix} v_{x}\\
H Psi equal E Psi
Hi everyone

I'm having trouble with solving an exercise in statistical physics. I need to argue why the average number of particles with a velocity between ##v## and ##v+dv## that hit a surface area ##A## on the container wall in a time interval ##\Delta t## is $$N_{collision}=v_{x}A\Delta t f(\mathrm{\textbf{v}})dv_{x}dv_{y}dv_{z}$$ where ##f(\mathrm{\textbf{v}})## is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. Consider the gas as an ideal gas.

I don't quiet know where to start so...

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
H Psi equal E Psi said:
Hi everyone

I'm having trouble with solving an exercise in statistical physics. I need to argue why the average number of particles with a velocity between ##v## and ##v+dv## that hit a surface area ##A## on the container wall in a time interval ##\Delta t## is $$N_{collision}=v_{x}A\Delta t f(\mathrm{\textbf{v}})dv_{x}dv_{y}dv_{z}$$ where ##f(\mathrm{\textbf{v}})## is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. Consider the gas as an ideal gas.

I don't quiet know where to start so...

Thanks for your help!

Are you sure that there isn't an additional factor of density (number of particles per unit volume) involved?

What I would say is this: You have a wall that is oriented perpendicular to the x-axis. So for particles traveling at velocity [itex]v_x[/itex] in the x-direction, consider all particles that will hit the wall in the next [itex]\delta t[/itex] seconds. Clearly, for a particle to hit the wall in that time interval, it must be closer than [itex]v_x \delta t[/itex] in the x-direction. So there is a certain region of space that contains all the particles that could possibly hit the wall in the next [itex]\delta t[/itex] seconds (traveling at velocity [itex]v_x[/itex] in the x-direction). What is the volume of that region? The number of particles in that region is proportional to that volume.

Likes H Psi equal E Psi
stevendaryl said:
Are you sure that there isn't an additional factor of density (number of particles per unit volume) involved?

What I would say is this: You have a wall that is oriented perpendicular to the x-axis. So for particles traveling at velocity [itex]v_x[/itex] in the x-direction, consider all particles that will hit the wall in the next [itex]\delta t[/itex] seconds. Clearly, for a particle to hit the wall in that time interval, it must be closer than [itex]v_x \delta t[/itex] in the x-direction. So there is a certain region of space that contains all the particles that could possibly hit the wall in the next [itex]\delta t[/itex] seconds (traveling at velocity [itex]v_x[/itex] in the x-direction). What is the volume of that region? The number of particles in that region is proportional to that volume.
Thank you very much for your answer!
I guess the number of particle traveling in x-direction would be: $$n_{x}=\int_{0}^{\infty} f(\mathrm{\textbf{v}}) dv_{x}$$ right? But how do I include the infinitesimal time Intervall ##\Delta t##?

H Psi equal E Psi said:
Thank you very much for your answer!
I guess the number of particle traveling in x-direction would be: $$n_{x}=\int_{0}^{\infty} f(\mathrm{\textbf{v}}) dv_{x}$$ right? But how do I include the infinitesimal time Intervall ##\Delta t##?

Can you answer my question: what is the volume of the region of points such that a particle at that point will hit the wall in the next [itex]\Delta t[/itex] seconds?

stevendaryl said:
Can you answer my question: what is the volume of the region of points such that a particle at that point will hit the wall in the next [itex]\Delta t[/itex] seconds?

You said that:
The number of particles in that region is proportional to that volume.
So by finding the number of particle which will hit the wall in the next ##\Delta t## seconds I can find the volume? The number of particle which will hit the wall should be equal to: $$dn_{x}=\Delta tv_{x}f(\mathrm{\textbf{v}})dv_{x}dv_{y}dv_{z}$$ with $$\mathrm{\textbf{v}}=
\begin{bmatrix}
v_{x}\\
0\\
\end{bmatrix}$$
Now i need to link this with the volume right?
I'm not that good in statistical physics so what I just stated could be completely wrong...
Thanks for your help!

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the speeds and energies of particles in an ideal gas. It was developed by James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann in the late 19th century.

2. How does the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution relate to ideal gas pressure?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution shows the distribution of velocities of particles in an ideal gas. By integrating this distribution, one can calculate the average speed of particles, which is directly related to the pressure of the gas through the ideal gas law (P = nRT/V).

3. What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is affected by temperature, mass of the particles, and the number of particles in the gas. As temperature increases, the distribution becomes wider and shifts to higher velocities. Heavier particles have a lower average speed and a narrower distribution compared to lighter particles.

4. Can the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution be used to describe real gases?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is only valid for an ideal gas, which is a gas that follows the ideal gas law. Real gases deviate from this behavior at high pressures and low temperatures, so the distribution is not applicable in those cases.

5. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution related to the kinetic theory of gases?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which describes the behavior of gases in terms of the motion of individual particles. The distribution shows the distribution of kinetic energies of particles in an ideal gas, which is a key concept in the kinetic theory of gases.