Ideals of a ring of matrixes

• MHB
  • Thread starter Alex224
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary: Your name] In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of five ideals in a ring of matrices and the difficulty in explaining why there cannot be a sixth ideal. The reason for this is due to the definition of an ideal, which requires closure under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring. The five identified ideals satisfy these properties, but it is not possible to construct a sixth ideal without violating one of these properties.
Alex224
Hi.
I have this ring of matrixes: R = { \[ \begin{pmatrix} a & 0\\ b & c\\ \end{pmatrix} \]}while a,b,c is from some field F.

now, I need to find all the ideals of this ring. I found five ideals. here there are:i1 = { \[ \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0\\ b & 0\\ \end{pmatrix} \]}i2 = { \[ \begin{pmatrix} a & 0\\ b & 0\\ \end{pmatrix} \]}i3 = { \[ \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0\\ b & c\\ \end{pmatrix} \]}i4 = R

i5 = {0}

now, I am kind of stuck to explain why there cannot be a six's ideal. I know intuitively why there cannot be another ideal but its like I can't figure out how formally explain it. I feel like I am dancing around the answer for hours but can't make it right on the spot.

any help?
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your findings about the ideals of the ring R with us. It seems like you have correctly identified five of the six possible ideals in this ring. The reason why there cannot be a sixth ideal can be explained using the definition of an ideal.

An ideal of a ring is a subset that satisfies two properties: closure under addition and closure under multiplication by elements of the ring. In other words, if we take any two elements from the ideal and add them, the result must also be in the ideal. Similarly, if we take any element from the ideal and multiply it by any element from the ring, the result must also be in the ideal.

Now, let's consider the ring R and its five ideals that you have identified. Each of these ideals satisfies the two properties mentioned above. For example, in i1, if we take any two elements and add them, we get a result that is also in i1. Similarly, if we take any element from i1 and multiply it by any element from R, the result is still in i1.

However, if we try to construct a sixth ideal, it will either violate the closure under addition property or the closure under multiplication property. Let's say we try to add two elements from i1 and i3, the result will not be in either of these ideals as it will have a non-zero entry in the top left corner. Similarly, if we try to multiply an element from i1 with an element from R, the result will not be in i1 as it will have a non-zero entry in the top left corner.

Hence, we can conclude that there cannot be a sixth ideal in the ring R. I hope this helps to clarify your understanding. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Keep up the good work in exploring the properties of this ring!

1. What are the "Ideals" of a ring of matrices?

The ideals of a ring of matrices are subsets of the ring that are closed under addition, subtraction, and multiplication by any element of the ring. In other words, they are subrings that are invariant under multiplication by the entire ring.

2. How are ideals of a ring of matrices related to linear transformations?

Ideals of a ring of matrices are closely related to linear transformations because they represent the subspaces that are invariant under the transformation. In other words, the elements of an ideal are the matrices that do not change the subspace they are acting on.

3. Can a ring of matrices have more than one ideal?

Yes, a ring of matrices can have multiple ideals. In fact, every ring has at least two ideals: the zero ideal and the entire ring itself. However, there can be many more ideals depending on the specific properties of the ring.

4. How do ideals of a ring of matrices affect the properties of the ring?

Ideals of a ring of matrices play a crucial role in determining the properties of the ring. They can affect the structure, dimension, and other algebraic properties of the ring. For example, if a ring has a non-trivial ideal, it cannot be a field.

5. Can ideals of a ring of matrices be used to simplify computations?

Yes, ideals of a ring of matrices can be used to simplify computations. If a matrix belongs to an ideal, it can be replaced with the zero matrix in certain operations, making the computations simpler. This is especially useful in the study of linear transformations and other applications of matrices.