Ideals of formal power series ring

In summary, the problem is to determine the ideals of the ring $F[[t]]$, where $F$ is a given field. The solution uses the fact that a formal power series is invertible if and only if its constant term is invertible. The author claims that the ideal $I$ can be written as $(t^a)$, where $a$ is the minimum index of a nonzero coefficient in $p \in I$. To prove this, the author shows that any element $r$ in $I$ can be written as $t^a s$, where $s$ is a formal power series, and therefore $r \in (t^a)$.
Anonymous2
I need help understanding the following solution for the given problem.

The problem is as follows: Given a field $F$, the set of all formal power series $p(t)=a_0+a_1 t+a_2 t^2 + \ldots$ with $a_i \in F$ forms a ring $F[[t]]$. Determine the ideals of the ring.

The solution: Let $I$ be an ideal and $p \in I$ such the number $a := \min\{i|a_i \neq 0\}$ is minimal. We claim $I=(t^a).$ First, $p=t^aq$ for some unit $q$, hence $(t^a) \subset I$. Conversely, any $r \in I$ has first nonzero coefficient at degree $\geq n$, hence $t^a=s$ for some $s \in F[[t]]$, and so $r \in (t^n)$.

My questions: Why the claim $I=(t^a)$? Why does $q$ have to be a unit? What does "first nonzero coefficient at degree $\geq n$ mean? And I don't understand the last part of the proof!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Anonymous said:
My questions: Why the claim $I=(t^a)$?

Just because the author knows what is the answer, he claims it and then prove it.

Anonymous said:
Why does $q$ have to be a unit?

In a formal power series ring, a series is invertible if and only if the constant term is invertible over the base ring, in this case, $F$ being a field implies a series is invertible (unit) if and only if its constant term is different from zero.

Anonymous said:
What does "first nonzero coefficient at degree $\geq n$ mean?

This is the same that saying $r=\displaystyle\sum_{i=n}^{\infty}a_{i}t^{i}$, but in fact $n$ should be an $a$, the next sentence make no sense, from here we can conclude $r\in (t^{a})$ and finish the proof.

1. What are the "ideals" in a formal power series ring?

In a formal power series ring, the ideals are subsets of the ring that satisfy certain conditions. Specifically, an ideal is a subset of the ring that is closed under addition and multiplication by any element of the ring. This means that when you add or multiply any two elements in the ideal, the result is still in the ideal. In other words, the ideal is a "sub-ring" of the original ring.

2. How are ideals related to other algebraic structures?

Ideals are related to other algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. In fact, an ideal can be thought of as a generalization of a subgroup, a subring, or a subfield. This means that the conditions for an ideal are similar to those for a subgroup, subring, or subfield.

3. What is the significance of ideals in formal power series rings?

Ideals are important in formal power series rings because they allow us to study the structure of the ring in a more general way. By studying the ideals of a formal power series ring, we can understand the relationships between different elements in the ring, and we can also prove important theorems and properties about the ring.

4. How are ideals used in algebraic geometry?

In algebraic geometry, ideals are used to study the properties of polynomial equations and their solutions. In this context, ideals can be thought of as the "solutions" to a polynomial equation. By studying the ideals of a polynomial ring, we can determine the properties of the solutions to a given polynomial equation.

5. Can ideals be used to simplify calculations in formal power series rings?

Yes, ideals can be useful for simplifying calculations in formal power series rings. By using the properties of ideals, we can often reduce complex calculations to simple operations on ideals. This can make it easier to prove theorems and solve problems in formal power series rings.