Identify circuit components?

In summary, The conversation is about building an 8-channel radio receiver and transmitter using a PIC microcontroller. The person asking the question is new to electronics and is seeking information on the necessary parts and where to obtain them. They also inquire about making the circuits light up something more powerful than an LED, and the suggestion is given to use a transistor to drive a relay. The conversation also mentions the need for programming the microprocessors and the potential cost of having them programmed.
snowballer
I took these two pictures from http://jap.hu/electronic/codec.html. They are an 8-channel radio receiver and transmitter using a PIC microcontroller.

I'm about as green as you get with electronics. My greatest accomplishment so far has been using a car's ignition coil to make a spark across some copper wires. I'd like to build this, so would anyone be able to tell me - what are all the parts in the diagrams, and where can I get them?

Also, how could I make the circuits light up something that takes more power than an LED?

transmitter:
rf_remote_transmitter.png

receiver:
rf_remote_receiver.png

Eventually, I'm going to create radio controls for a full-size old car. Gotta start somewhere :cool:

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/components.PNG

I marked some of the components.

However, the two microprocessors are programmed devices. This means they won't do anything unless you have them programmed.

So, you would have to return to the source to see if the chips were still available already programmed. This is where the programmer makes some money, because he can charge what the market would pay.

Also, how could I make the circuits light up something that takes more power than an LED?
You would use a transistor to drive a relay. But maybe try something a bit simpler first?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of identifying circuit components?

Identifying circuit components is important for troubleshooting and repairing electronic devices, as well as designing new circuits. Knowing the components and their functions allows for easier analysis and modification of circuits.

2. How do I identify a resistor in a circuit?

Resistors are typically small cylindrical components with colored bands indicating their resistance value. The color code can be found in a resistor color code chart. They also often have the value printed on them in numbers.

3. What is the difference between a capacitor and a resistor?

A capacitor is a component that stores electrical charge, while a resistor limits the flow of current in a circuit. Capacitors have two leads and are typically cylindrical or rectangular in shape, while resistors have two leads and are usually cylindrical in shape.

4. How can I identify a diode in a circuit?

Diodes are polarized components, meaning they only allow current to flow in one direction. They have a black band or arrow on one end, indicating the direction of current flow. They also have two leads, with the longer one being the positive side.

5. What is the purpose of identifying the polarity of a component?

Identifying the polarity of a component is important for proper installation and functioning of a circuit. Connecting a component with reversed polarity can cause damage to the circuit or prevent it from working correctly.