Identify this formula (related to thermodynamics applied to solids)

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula that relates to thermodynamics applied to solids and involves the thermal coefficient of volume expansion and isothermal compressibility. The formula can be found in the book "THERMODYNAMICS AND CHEMISTRY" by Howard DeVoe and may also be covered in books on solid state physics.
anpl
Hi all,

I've been for quite a while trying to identify this formula.

dV / V = β ΔT - κ Δp

where β is the thermal coefficient of volume expansion and κ is the isothermal compressibility.

I think it's related to thermodynamics applied to solids and I can understand relations between the nominal variation of volume which is proportional to the difference in temperature. And likewise, its relation to an increase in pressure (external).

What I can't say is in what context we learn this, and in what book this formula is written.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
It is the expression for the total differential of the volume of a closed system. You can find it, for example, in the book „THERMODYNAMICS AND CHEMISTRY“ by Howard DeVoe: http://www2.chem.umd.edu/thermobook/downloads.htm

Likes anpl

1. What is the formula for calculating thermal conductivity?

The formula for thermal conductivity is q = -kA(dT/dx), where q is the heat transfer rate, k is the thermal conductivity coefficient, A is the cross-sectional area, and (dT/dx) is the temperature gradient.

2. How is the heat capacity of a solid calculated?

The heat capacity of a solid is calculated using the formula C = Q/mΔT, where C is the heat capacity, Q is the amount of heat transferred, m is the mass of the solid, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What is the formula for calculating thermal expansion?

The formula for thermal expansion is ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of linear expansion, L is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. How is the entropy change of a solid calculated?

The entropy change of a solid can be calculated using the formula ΔS = Qrev/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Qrev is the reversible heat transfer, and T is the temperature.

5. What is the formula for calculating the Gibbs free energy of a solid?

The formula for calculating the Gibbs free energy of a solid is ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔG is the change in Gibbs free energy, ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature, and ΔS is the change in entropy.