Standard Activity in Electrochemistry

In summary, the textbook Electrochemical Systems by Newman and Alyea chapter 14 has a definition of chemical potential as a function of absolute activity. It is important to note that this chemical potential is relative to a state of pure component at the temperature and pressure of the system, and can be expressed in a familiar way as a function of activity. Next, it is explained that standard activity is a proportionality constant that is independent of composition and electrical state, but dependent on temperature, pressure and solute type. However, by definition, this value always remains equal to 1. Finally, equation 5 can be written in terms of molarity by adding RTln(M(solvent)) to the previous value of standard activity.
Dario56
In the textbook Electrochemical Systems by Newman and Alyea, chapter 14: The definition of some thermodynamic functions, chemical potential of component (ionic or neutral) is written as a function of absolute activity: $$ \mu_i = RTln(\lambda_i) \tag {1} $$

where ##\lambda_i## is the absolute activity of the component ##i##.

What I know from thermodynamics is the following: $$ \mu_i = \mu_i ^⦵ + RTln \frac { f_i}{f_i ^⦵} = \mu_i ^⦵ + RT ln\frac {a_i}{a_i ^⦵} \tag{2}$$

where ##f_i## and ##f_i^⦵$## are partial and standard fugacities of component, respectively. It is important to note that ##a_i = \frac {f_i}{f_i^⦵}## and ##a_i ^⦵ = 1##.

Since we don't know the values of chemical potential, we can express them relatively to the standard state if we take that chemical potential at standard state is equal to zero: $$ \mu_i = RTln(a_i) = RTln(\lambda_i)\tag {3} $$

This is all well and good.

For mixtures in general (solutions of electrolytes are mixtures), standard state of the component is usually taken as a state of pure component at the temperature and pressure of the system (pure liquid for solvent or pure solid for solute). Choice of such standard state allows us to express chemical potential of the component in a mixture as a function of activity in a familiar way: $$ \mu_i = \mu_i ^⦵ + RT ln (x_i \gamma_i) \tag {4}$$

where ##\gamma_i## is the activity coefficient of the component ##i##. It is also evident that ##a_i = x_i \gamma_i##.

If solution is diluted than mole fractions are directly proportional to the molarity of the component ##m_i## (##m_i = \frac {x_i}{M(Solvent)})##

This allows us to express equation 5 in terms of molarity: $$\mu_i = \mu_i ^⦵ + RTln(m_i\gamma_i M(solvent)) \tag{5} $$

Standard state chemical potential is now redefined as we add ##RTln(M(solvent))## to its previous value and refers to the state of ideal solution with unit molarity: $$ \mu_i = \mu_i^{⦵'} + RTln(m_i \gamma_i) \tag{6} $$

Comparing with equation 2 we can write: $$ \frac {a_i}{a_i ^⦵} = \frac {\lambda_i}{\lambda_i ^⦵} = m_i \gamma_i \tag{7} $$

Next equation is written: $$ \lambda_i = m_i\gamma_i \lambda_i ^⦵ \tag {8} $$

In the textbook, it is explained that standard activity ##\lambda_i ^⦵## is a proportionality constant independent of composition and electrical state, but dependent on temperature, pressure and solute type. However, by definition of activity this value should always be equal to 1 and thus independent on any variable. Standard fugacity doesn't need to be equal to 1, but activity must be since ##\lambda_i ^⦵ = \frac {f_i^⦵}{f_i ^⦵}##, as far as my knowledge of thermodynamics goes.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
mi as you define it is molality, not molarity.

Likes Dario56
mjc123 said:
mi as you define it is molality, not molarity.
Yep, that's a mistake. It is clear what is meant, though.

1. What is standard activity in electrochemistry?

Standard activity in electrochemistry refers to the measure of the activity of a substance in a solution at standard conditions, which are defined as 1 atmosphere of pressure, 25 degrees Celsius, and a concentration of 1 mole per liter. It is used to determine the relative reactivity and concentration of different substances in a solution.

2. How is standard activity calculated?

Standard activity is calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentration of the substance, the gas constant, temperature, and the standard electrode potential. It is represented as a ratio of the activity of the substance in the solution to its standard activity at standard conditions.

3. What is the significance of standard activity in electrochemistry?

Standard activity is significant because it allows for the comparison of the relative reactivity and concentration of different substances in a solution. It also helps in predicting the direction and extent of a chemical reaction, as well as determining the equilibrium constant.

4. How does standard activity differ from standard concentration?

Standard activity takes into account the activity coefficient, which measures the deviation of a substance's activity from its concentration. This is important because the activity of a substance is not always directly proportional to its concentration, especially in non-ideal solutions. Standard concentration, on the other hand, only considers the concentration of a substance at standard conditions.

5. How is standard activity affected by temperature?

Standard activity is affected by temperature through the Nernst equation, which includes temperature as a variable. As temperature increases, the activity of a substance also increases, leading to a higher standard activity. This can impact the rate and direction of a chemical reaction, as well as the equilibrium constant.