Peak in single ODE within a system

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of nonlinear ODEs with a conservation law and asks about finding a condition for a peak in the time course of variable $Z$. It is suggested that the peak occurs when $\alpha k_+ X Y > \beta Z$. Further discussion includes constraints on the constants and a suggestion to reduce the system to a linear one.
Carla1985
Hi all, I have the system of nonlinear ODEs:

$$
\begin{align}
\frac{dX}{dt}=&-k_+ A X+k_-Y \\
\frac{dY}{dt}=&\ k_+ A X-k_-Y-\alpha k_+ X Y +\beta Z \\
\frac{dZ}{dt}=&\ \alpha k_+ X Y -\beta Z
\end{align}
$$

I also have a conservation law that says $D=X+Y+2Z$. Obviously it is not possible to find exact solutions to the system as it is nonlinear, but I noticed when running an ODE solver that the time course curve of $Z$ sometimes has a peak and then fall, dependant on the parameters. I was wondering if there is any way to be able to find a condition on whether I get a peak or not?

Regards
Carla

Physics news on Phys.org
At a base level, you could say that a peak like that means there is an interval $(a,b)$ containing a point $c$ such that $\dfrac{dZ}{dt}>0 \; \forall \, t\in(a,c)$ and $\dfrac{dZ}{dt}<0 \; \forall \, t\in(c,b)$. So, based on your system of ODE's, you could compare $\alpha k_+ X Y -\beta Z$ with $0$. Put another way, when is $\alpha k_+ X Y > \beta Z?$

Do you have any constraints (other than your conservation law, which looks like it could reduce the order of the system by 1. I assume $D$ is a constant?) on the constants $\alpha, \beta, k_+,$ and $k_-?$

Does your "conservation law" mean that D= X+ Y+ 2Z is a constant? If so then, taking the derivative of both sides with respect to t, $\frac{dX}{dt}+ \frac{dX}{dt}+ 2\frac{dZ}{dt}= 0$. Using the derivative formulas given, it follows that $\alpha k_+XY- \beta Z= 0$ so you can replace the XY term by $\beta Z$ to get a linear system.

Hi,

Yes, sorry, I should have explained better, D is a constant value. The only other constraints are $\alpha, \beta, k_+, k_-\geq 0$. I will work through your suggestions. Thank you very much for the help.

Regards
Carla

Carla1985 said:
D is a constant value. The only other constraints are $\alpha, \beta, k_+, k_-\geq 0$.
Is $A$ a constant as well?

Krylov said:
Is $A$ a constant as well?

Yes $A$ is constant. The only variables are $X,Y$ and $Z$

1. What is a peak in a single ODE within a system?

A peak in a single ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) within a system refers to a point of maximum value in the solution of the equation. It can also be interpreted as a point where the rate of change of the variable is at its highest.

2. How is a peak determined in a single ODE within a system?

A peak in a single ODE within a system is determined by finding the point where the derivative of the equation is equal to zero. This can be done analytically or graphically by plotting the equation and identifying the maximum point.

3. What causes a peak to occur in a single ODE within a system?

A peak in a single ODE within a system can be caused by various factors, such as the initial conditions of the equation, the parameters and coefficients in the equation, and the external factors affecting the system. It can also be a result of non-linear behavior in the system.

4. Can a peak occur more than once in a single ODE within a system?

Yes, a peak can occur more than once in a single ODE within a system. This can happen if the equation has multiple solutions or if there are multiple variables that can reach a maximum point simultaneously. In some cases, the system may also exhibit periodic behavior, causing multiple peaks to occur.

5. How is a peak in a single ODE within a system relevant in scientific research?

The presence of a peak in a single ODE within a system can provide valuable insights into the behavior and dynamics of the system. It can help in identifying critical points and understanding the impact of different factors on the system. Peaks can also be used as indicators of stability and can aid in predicting future behavior of the system.