Identifying Celestial Pole in Photo Taken 02/21/2010

• MHB
  • Thread starter Vi Nguyen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photo Pole
In summary: DanWater and ice crystals are both visible in sunlight. However, in your picture, the sun is shining directly on the camera lens which amplifies the effects of water and ice crystals.
Vi Nguyen
I took this picture on 02/21/2010, and I saw a line that I called it celestial pole. But I am not sure if that is what I see in the picture I took. I looked up wiki and I found that picture that the celestial pole is on the other side of the line that I see on my picture. How do I explain it that what I see on the picture I took is really the celestial pole that I saw from Earth standpoint.

Attachments

• earth celestial pole 1.png
    earth celestial pole 1.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 74
Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is nothing "celestial" about that. It might be an effect of the atmosphere or, as far as the picture is concerned "astigmatism" in your camera lens.

Vi Nguyen said:
I took this picture on 02/21/2010, and I saw a line that I called it celestial pole. But I am not sure if that is what I see in the picture I took. I looked up wiki and I found that picture that the celestial pole is on the other side of the line that I see on my picture. How do I explain it that what I see on the picture I took is really the celestial pole that I saw from Earth standpoint.
What you are seeing in both of your posts is nothing more than water and ice crystals in the upper atmosphere refracting sunlight. You are not seeing anything celestial apart from the Sun's usual disc on a clear day.

-Dan

The reason I am thinking that I am seeing the celestial pole in the picture that I took, because when I compare my picture with wiki picture, this is what I am seeing.
I took the picture with my camera that has two lens. At the moment, I point straight at the sun to take this picture. So as it view from Earth standpoint, the celestial pole is on the other side of the Earth as the sun reflect it.

Attachments

• earth my pix.jpg
    earth my pix.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 73
If the pole were actually phyiscal then it might reflect, I suppose. But there is no physical manifestation of an axis running through the Earth.

It would be fun, though.

-Dan

I heard of the Earth axial tilt or obliquity and the Earth circle around the sun accordingly to the Earth axial tilt.
But I never heard of the sun has the reflection of the Earth axial tilt.
I am curious.

Vi Nguyen said:
I heard of the Earth axial tilt or obliquity and the Earth circle around the sun accordingly to the Earth axial tilt.
But I never heard of the sun has the reflection of the Earth axial tilt.
I am curious.
You haven't heard of it for a very good reason: There is no reflection because there isn't anything to reflect from. I have already told you this in this very thread. I don't know why you are persisting in this.

-Dan

topsquark said:
What you are seeing in both of your posts is nothing more than water and ice crystals in the upper atmosphere refracting sunlight.

It was water? I thought it was fire since it was sunlight.

What is a celestial pole?

A celestial pole is the point in the sky around which the stars appear to rotate. There are two celestial poles - the North Celestial Pole and the South Celestial Pole.

Why is identifying the celestial pole important in a photo?

Identifying the celestial pole in a photo can help determine the direction and orientation in which the photo was taken. This information can be useful for navigation, as well as for studying celestial objects and their movement.

How can I identify the celestial pole in a photo?

To identify the celestial pole in a photo, you can look for the star that appears to be stationary while all the other stars appear to rotate around it. This star will be either the North or South Celestial Pole depending on your location.

What factors can affect the accuracy of identifying the celestial pole in a photo?

The accuracy of identifying the celestial pole in a photo can be affected by factors such as the quality of the photo, the time of the photo, and the location of the photographer. Additionally, the movement of the Earth's axis can also impact the accuracy.

Can I use software to help identify the celestial pole in a photo?

Yes, there are various software programs and apps available that can help identify the celestial pole in a photo. These programs use algorithms to analyze the stars in the photo and determine the direction of the celestial pole. However, the accuracy of these programs may vary depending on the factors mentioned above.