Photo Contest - A Bargain (8/15-8/21)

In summary, the photo contest's theme is "A Bargain" and the submission deadline is August 21st. Participants can submit up to 5 photos, each meeting the theme and guidelines. Winners will be chosen based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme by a panel of judges, with prizes including gift cards and recognition for top entries.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
A Bargain

Everyone loves a bargain! So it shouldn't be too difficult to find a photo that clearly shows that, should it? :smile:

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Size limitations: Your photo is only limited to the file size limitation set by PhysicsForums. However, your may want to consider reducing the size of your photo if the file size exceeds 1 Mb. If your file is being hosted elsewhere, I will have to see how it is being displayed here, and I may ask you to resize and resubmit if it causes problems.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawal by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
They offered me so few money that I decided to keep. They wanted to pay 30€ for this and two more. This one is the one I like the most. The title is "Mus" (a card game very popular in the Basque Country) at Ondarroa (a fishermen's village). It's an oil paint of the XXth century. It's not on sale. I like it.
Greetings!

Attachments

• 15974984155701317678330.jpg
    15974984155701317678330.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 147
mcastillo356 said:
They offered me so few money that I decided to keep. They wanted to pay 30€ for this and two more. This one is the one I like the most. The title is "Mus" (a card game very popular in the Basque Country) at Ondarroa (a fishermen's village). It's an oil paint of the XXth century. It's not on sale. I like it.
Greetings!

You need to change your photo from an attachment/thumbnail to full-size.

Zz.

0.jpg

Likes DennisN
I'm not sure. Hope is this way, Zz

Pandemic special offer.

bargain---1.jpg

Likes DennisN and mcastillo356
kuruman said:
I knew I had seen something like this before (not a contest submission). These dogs are playing poker. I am sure with proper training they can also learn Mus but probably not be good at it. From what I read about Mus, it can be a bluffing game, just like poker. It is well known in gambling circles that dogs are poor bluffers since they tend to wag their tails when they have a good hand.

View attachment 267821

OK, please help me not get things confused.

Per the rules, restrict all image submission in this thread to ONLY contest submission. Otherwise, I can't tell which is for the contest and which is for something else. Now I don't know who submitted what and where.

Zz.

mcastillo356 said:
I'm not sure. Hope is this way, Zz

So, is this a painting or print that you have and that this object is your "bargain" object?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
OK, please help me not get things confused.

Per the rules, restrict all image submission in this thread to ONLY contest submission. Otherwise, I can't tell which is for the contest and which is for something else. Now I don't know who submitted what and where.

Zz.
I thought I made it clear that post #7 is not a contest submission by saying so in parentheses.

I can (a) edit the post and make it clearer or (b) delete the post altogether. Please advise.

kuruman said:
I thought I made it clear that post #7 is not a contest submission by saying so in parentheses.

I can (a) edit the post and make it clearer or (b) delete the post altogether. Please advise.

PF Photo Contest Rules said:
9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Zz.
Post deleted.

ZapperZ said:
So, is this a painting or print that you have and that this object is your "bargain" object?

Zz.
Yes. It is a painting at a wall in my home. My sister asked an auction house, and they valued it for so few money, that we decided not to put it on sale. It was a bargain price from our point of view.

IMG_20200818_114333.jpg
New dress for 50 baht, $1.60

Likes mcastillo356
My two guests this morning think the Georgia fishing license is a bargain at $15.
Bargain.JPG

Likes morrobay, mcastillo356 and BillTre
Beach house with a private dock regularly $300 a night, got it for $50 a night with pandemic pricing!
8B84E755-076D-4613-9D72-D4A9B3DFBB83.jpeg

Likes rsk, fresh_42, BillTre and 2 others
I love "Fidelio".

Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

Bought this teapot at a yard sale. Seller wanted $3 for it. I got it down to $2. I've been using it almost everyday.
IMG_3913.JPG

Zz.

Likes Fervent Freyja and mcastillo356
ZapperZ said:
Bought this teapot at a yard sale. Seller wanted $3 for it. I got it down to $2. I've been using it almost everyday.
View attachment 268106

Zz.

Great color and contrast and composition in this pic. Really nice.

Dr. Courtney said:
Except that it looks stolen. They use this type of cans very much (and almost exclusively) in coffee shops over here.

• Haha
Likes Fervent Freyja and BillTre
Dr. Courtney said:
Indeed with the red enamel coated wood plank table.

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "A Bargain". This means that the photos submitted should showcase a great deal, discount, or value in some form.

2. Can anyone participate in the photo contest?

Yes, anyone can participate in the photo contest as long as they follow the submission guidelines and rules listed on the contest website.

3. How many photos can I submit for the contest?

You can submit up to 5 photos for the photo contest.

4. When is the submission deadline?

The submission deadline for the photo contest is August 21st, 11:59 PM EST. Any submissions after this date and time will not be considered.

5. How will the winner be chosen?

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges, who will evaluate the photos based on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. The winner will be announced on August 28th on the contest website and social media pages.