Identifying Complex Species in Co+2 and Ni+2 Solution with Alkaline Br2 Addition

In summary, the solution initially contains Co+2 and Ni+2 ions with excess KCN. Upon adding alkaline Br2, a complex is formed in which Co+2 is oxidized to Co+3 and Ni+2 forms Ni(OH)3 precipitate. The final solution consists of K3[Co(CN)6] and Ni2O3.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A solution consist of Co+2 and Ni+2 ion in which excess KCN is added and in the resulting solution alkaline Br2 was added. The solution finally consist of which species?

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess some complex would be formed but how to exactly find out the complex? I don't have any idea as this does not involve any equations or mathematical approach. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

A solution consist of Co+2 and Ni+2 ion in which excess KCN is added and in the resulting solution alkaline Br2 was added. The solution finally consist of which species?

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess some complex would be formed but how to exactly find out the complex? I don't have any idea as this does not involve any equations or mathematical approach. Any ideas?

Are there any options with the problem?

As you noticed, a complex should form in both the cases, the metal in the complex bears the same oxidation state as before.

Addition of alkaline ##Br_2## (which is basically ##OBr^{-}##) serves as a test to differentiate between the two complexes. ##Ni(OH)_3## precipitates but the cobalt stays in the complex form.

Pranav-Arora said:
Are there any options with the problem?

As you noticed, a complex should form in both the cases, the metal in the complex bears the same oxidation state as before.

Addition of alkaline ##Br_2## (which is basically ##OBr^{-}##) serves as a test to differentiate between the two complexes. ##Ni(OH)_3## precipitates but the cobalt stays in the complex form.

The answer is K3[Co(CN)6] and Ni2O3. Why Co+2 has been oxidised to Co+3 and how did Ni2O3 appear?

1. What is inorganic chemistry?

Inorganic chemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of inorganic compounds, which are compounds that do not contain carbon-hydrogen bonds. It focuses on the properties, structures, and reactions of elements and their compounds, including metals, minerals, and non-metallic elements.

2. How is inorganic chemistry different from organic chemistry?

Inorganic chemistry primarily deals with compounds that do not contain carbon-hydrogen bonds, while organic chemistry focuses on compounds that contain carbon-hydrogen bonds. Inorganic compounds are typically simpler and have fewer variations in their structures compared to organic compounds.

3. What are some applications of inorganic chemistry?

Inorganic chemistry has many practical applications in various fields, including medicine, agriculture, materials science, and environmental science. For example, inorganic compounds are used in pharmaceuticals, fertilizers, and the production of advanced materials such as ceramics and semiconductors.

4. What are some examples of inorganic compounds?

Inorganic compounds include substances such as metals, minerals, salts, acids, bases, and gases. Some common examples include sodium chloride (table salt), calcium carbonate (chalk), sulfuric acid, and carbon dioxide.

5. How can I improve my understanding of inorganic chemistry?

To improve your understanding of inorganic chemistry, it is important to have a solid foundation in the basic principles of chemistry, including atomic structure, chemical bonding, and periodic trends. You can also benefit from practicing problem-solving and conducting experiments to apply your knowledge. Additionally, staying updated on current research and developments in the field can help deepen your understanding.