Identifying Oxidizing and Reducing Agents in a Chemical Reaction

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a chemistry problem involving the reaction of Ba(s) and Cl2 to form BaCl2. The speaker is struggling with an online chemistry program called Masteringchemistry and needs help determining the oxidizing and reducing agents and their respective charges. The conversation also mentions the frustration with Masteringchemistry and how it should be its own class. The charges of Ba and Cl are determined to be 2+ and 1- respectively after the reaction.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Ba(s) + Cl2 ----> BaCl2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using a online chemistry program, for class, that has proved incessantly annoying. This program, Masteringchemistry, wants me to type in the oxidazing agent and reducing agent, respectively, and their charges. Is anyone familiar with this program? The reducing agent is Ba and the oxidizing agent is Cl, right? What are their respective charges? Ba is 2+ and Cl is 1-, right? Please help, these problems are due tonight; and I've already tried to meet with my professor, but he wasn't there for his office hour.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
I am using a online chemistry program, for class, that has proved incessantly annoying. This program, Masteringchemistry

Mastering masteringchemistry should be a separate class, each new semester I see people complaining.

The reducing agent is Ba and the oxidizing agent is Cl, right? What are their respective charges? Ba is 2+ and Cl is 1-, right?

You are right, with one comment - these are charges after reaction.

Yes, masteringchemistry is quite annoying. Thank you so, so much.

1. What is an oxidation agent?

An oxidation agent, also known as an oxidizing agent, is a substance that causes oxidation by gaining electrons from another substance. This results in the oxidation agent being reduced in the process.

2. What is a reduction agent?

A reduction agent, also known as a reducing agent, is a substance that causes reduction by losing electrons to another substance. This results in the reduction agent being oxidized in the process.

3. What is the role of oxidation/reduction agents in chemical reactions?

Oxidation/reduction agents play a crucial role in chemical reactions by facilitating the transfer of electrons between substances. This transfer of electrons drives the reaction and leads to the formation of new products.

4. How do oxidation and reduction reactions affect the overall charge of a substance?

In oxidation reactions, the substance loses electrons and becomes more positively charged. In reduction reactions, the substance gains electrons and becomes more negatively charged. Therefore, oxidation and reduction reactions can change the overall charge of a substance.

5. What are some examples of common oxidation/reduction agents?

Common oxidation agents include oxygen, hydrogen peroxide, and halogens. Common reduction agents include metals such as sodium and magnesium, as well as compounds like carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas.