Identifying structures in brain MRI

In summary, identifying structures in brain MRI involves using specialized techniques and software to analyze and identify different regions and structures within the brain. This process is crucial for diagnosing and understanding various neurological conditions and diseases. It requires a thorough understanding of brain anatomy and the ability to interpret and analyze complex images. Advanced technology and techniques, such as diffusion tensor imaging and functional MRI, have greatly improved the accuracy and efficiency of identifying brain structures. Overall, identifying structures in brain MRI plays a vital role in the field of neuroscience and continues to be an important area of research and development.
Wo0p
Hello all, experts and otherwise. I'm looking for some links to software and documentation for selecting Regions of Interest (ROI) in MRI data of the human brain. Saving ROIs is a must. Any tips also appreciated.

Thank you!

Biology news on Phys.org
ROI is the acronym for "Return on Investment".

Perhaps you should explain what you are looking for and why.

Wo0p said:
Hello all, experts and otherwise. I'm looking for some links to software and documentation for selecting Regions of Interest (ROI) in MRI data of the human brain. Saving ROIs is a must. Any tips also appreciated.

Thank you!

I don't know how good this software is but it looks interesting.

http://psyphz.psych.wisc.edu/~oakes/spam/help_BrainMaker.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, they do use ROI as an acronym. I've been using the term for over 30 years.

Evo said:
ROI is the acronym for "Return on Investment".

Perhaps you should explain what you are looking for and why.

That's what google says as well

We currently have two groups of subjects. Between subjects the data is similar but not quite the same. We can make comparison for the entire brain... but we also want to compare only within certain brain structures.

It would be ideal to have the ROIs in electronic format. We basically have lots of data. There's literally hundreds of images. But (I think) we would only need to get the ROIs once or twice.

SWV,

I was wondering if you would know where I could find a latest series of brain maps for where the five senses, sight, sound, hearing, touch, taste "normally" are thought to be processed in the brain. I have unsuccessfully tried on and off for weeks to find a link or links that cover them. They would be helpful in the "synesthesia" thread as I have further deepened my understanding of this really cool phenomenon. Thanks...

Rhody... :cool:

P.S.

Wo0p,

Have a look at these two posts: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2747466&postcount=220" in the synesthesia thread, there is some good MRI background here that may be of interest to you.

rhody said:
SWV,

I was wondering if you would know where I could find a latest series of brain maps for where the five senses, sight, sound, hearing, touch, taste "normally" are thought to be processed in the brain.

Here's a source that might suit your needs. There's a lot of 3D software on the net for sale, but you won't find much for free.

http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/content/full/28/7/1421

You're probably familiar with the sensory homunculus. I had a link, but I lost it. You can easily find that however.

EDIT: My personal interests tend more toward neurochemistry (transmitters, receptors, etc), and less toward functional anatomy.

Last edited:

Related to Identifying structures in brain MRI

1. What structures can be identified in a brain MRI?

In a brain MRI, various structures can be identified, including the cerebrum, cerebellum, brain stem, ventricles, and various lobes of the brain such as the frontal, parietal, temporal, and occipital lobes.

2. How are structures identified in a brain MRI?

Structures in a brain MRI are identified by analyzing the different shades of gray in the images. Areas with higher water content, such as the cerebrospinal fluid, appear darker, while areas with higher fat content, such as white matter, appear lighter.

3. What tools are used to assist in identifying structures in a brain MRI?

Radiologists and neuroscientists often use specialized software and computer algorithms to assist in identifying structures in a brain MRI. They may also compare the MRI images to other medical imaging techniques, such as CT scans or PET scans.

4. Can structures in a brain MRI change over time?

Yes, structures in a brain MRI can change over time due to various factors such as aging, injury, or disease. Furthermore, brain plasticity allows the brain to adapt and change its structure in response to new experiences and learning.

5. Are there any limitations to identifying structures in a brain MRI?

While brain MRI is a highly advanced imaging technique, there are still limitations to identifying structures. For example, MRI may not be able to differentiate between certain structures with similar densities. Additionally, some structures may be too small or too close together to be clearly identified.