Identifying Undissolved Silver Halides in Precipitation Reactions

• Thread starter V0ODO0CH1LD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aqueous
In summary, the aqueous solution of silver nitrate, when combined with a sample of an aqueous solution of sodium halides, will result in a precipitation. The addition of ammonium hydroxide to the mixture will partially dissolve the precipitation, while the addition of a sample of an aqueous solution concentrated with ammonium hydroxide will dissolve the precipitation completely.
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

A sample of an aqueous solution of sodium halides is added to a sample of an aqueous solution of silver nitrate, resulting in a precipitation. To the mixture containing the precipitation was added a sample of an aqueous solution with ammonium hydroxide, dissolving the precipitation partially. To the remainder of the precipitation was added a sample of an aqueous solution concentrated with ammonium hydroxide, dissolving the precipitation partially again.

If the solution containing the sodium halides is made up of NaF, NaCl, NaBr and NaI, which silver halide(s) are not dissolved from the precipitation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the first reaction I should consider in these types of problems?
[tex] NaCl_{(aq)} \rightarrow Na^++Cl^-[/tex]
or
[tex] NaCl_{(aq)}+AgNO_{3(aq)} \rightarrow AgCl+\ ? [/tex]
I'm quite honestly lost. Should I just know stuff? Or is there some kind of logic?

Physics news on Phys.org
In chemistry, the more you know, the better off you are. You can always google 'silver' to learn more about the chemistry of its compounds.

As per my knowledge, adding ammonium hydroxide will lead to the following complexation reaction:
[tex]Ag^+\,+ \, 2NH_3 \rightarrow [Ag(NH_3)_2]^+[/tex]

I guess you need to solve the problem on the basis of solubility products of the silver halides but I am not sure about this. I wait for someone to comment on this.

Pranav-Arora said:
I guess you need to solve the problem on the basis of solubility products of the silver halides

combined with a stability constant for the diammine silver complex.

Borek said:
combined with a stability constant for the diammine silver complex.

I remember we had that one recently.
Pranav-Arora said:
How much AgBr could dissolve in 1.0 L of 0.40 M NH3? Assume that Ag(NH3)2+ is the only complex formed. [Kf=1*108 ; Ksp=5*10-13]

Well obviously no one is going to remember the figures, but useful qualitative information to retain would be the comparative solubility of the different silver salts, and its explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
In chemistry, the more you know, the better off you are.

Yeah, but how much of chemistry am I going to be able to work out? When I see people solving chemistry problems, they just use facts. There are a lot of charts and tables, but very little logic to follow. Am I tackling chemistry wrong? If I simply don't know what happens to sodium halides and silver nitrate when mixed in water; should I just give up or is there a set of axioms that I could use to figure it out? Is problem solving in chemistry just using previous attained facts?

EDIT: Also, for chemistry, if I have a limited amount of time to study for a test, should I just read a lot on the test subjects or should I insist in solving problems? Because if each problem is only solvable by knowing facts, I feel like solving one problem won't help me to solving others. Like mathematics where practicing problem solving goes a long way.

Last edited:
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
If I simply don't know what happens to sodium halides and silver nitrate when mixed in water; should I just give up or is there a set of axioms that I could use to figure it out? Is problem solving in chemistry just using previous attained facts?

What that suggests is your problem which would not be your fault is that you have not spent much time in the laboratory or even seeing laboratory demonstrations. It is common to need to detect or assay chloride, and from having seen it enough times the high insolubility of silver halides is something I still easily remember, as I do the white colour of AgCl, and pale yellow colour of AgBr, and I think redissolving them in ammonia.

I think chemistry often struggled for its place at school and I wonder if it isn't now being pushed further aside, and only its indispensibility for biology keeps it there. But unlike other subjects which can still be learned later, what you don't see at school you probably never will.

It does not have the same almost deductive style in which physics can be put, but it is a science nevertheless, but has more rationale than the "stamp collecting" dismissals and you need to seek all the rationalisations and hopefully will find a strange horrible fascination :biggrin: in them; it also needs the laboratory though and you cannot do everything from a book as at a pinch you could physics.

Added: Also take every opportunity to connect up things. This has just brought to mind the "silver mirror test" for aldehydes. It consists of reduction of Ag+ to Ag. Or rather reduction of the ammonia complex, for it is done in the presence of ammonia. And why - why not use silver nitrate which is perfectly soluble? I either did not remember, or never knew or questioned. But here is the explanation:

The half-equations indicate that ammonia forms a complex with the silver ion, which is more difficult to reduce than the silver ion. This is because silver ions form more stable complexes with NH3 than with water.

"If silver nitrate is used without ammonia, the silver ion is reduced so quickly that colloidal silver metal would appear. The solution would become a black, cloudy liquid."
http://www.rsc.org/Education/EiC/issues/2007Jan/ExhibitionChemistry.asp

Last edited:
V0ODO0CH1LD said:
If I simply don't know what happens to sodium halides and silver nitrate when mixed in water; should I just give up or is there a set of axioms that I could use to figure it out?

Solubility rules.

1. What is an aqueous solution?

An aqueous solution is a solution in which the solvent is water. This means that the substance being dissolved is mixed with water to form a homogeneous mixture.

2. Why are aqueous solutions important in science?

Aqueous solutions are important in science because they are the most common type of solution found in nature and are used in various biological and chemical processes. They also play a crucial role in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and environmental science.

3. How can you determine the concentration of an aqueous solution?

The concentration of an aqueous solution can be determined by measuring the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) in a given volume of the solution, and expressing it as a ratio of the amount of solute to the total amount of solution. This can be done through various methods such as titration, spectrophotometry, and gravimetric analysis.

4. What are some common problems encountered with aqueous solutions?

Some common problems encountered with aqueous solutions include precipitation, where the solute separates out of the solution and forms a solid, and crystallization, where the solute forms crystals and is no longer dissolved in the solution. Other problems include changes in pH levels, contamination, and evaporation.

5. How can you prevent or fix issues with aqueous solutions?

To prevent or fix issues with aqueous solutions, it is important to closely monitor the concentration and pH levels of the solution, as well as the temperature and any potential contaminants. If issues arise, they can be fixed by adjusting the concentration, pH, or by filtering the solution to remove any precipitates or contaminants.