Identities of fields in Maxwell's equations

In summary: So in summary, the electric field in Gauss's law is the same as the electric field in other equations, and you only need the Gauss's law equation to solve for it. When the right hand side is zero=in a charge free zone, that does not mean the electric field on the left hand side needs to be zero.
goodphy
Hello.

I would like to ask one simple question. Do we need to distinguish E-field (Electric field) in Gauss's law from those in Maxwell-Faraday equation and Ampere's circuit law? I firstly thought that E-field in Gauss's law is only for electrostatics so I need to distinguish it from E-field in time-varying Maxwell equations, If I try to do some calculation with the law. But later, I have a feeling that I may need to treat them equally; E-field in Gauss's law is also E-field in other equations. Even If I apply time-varying E-field to Gauss's law, the law gives me a correct answer; RHS of Gauss's law is zero when E-field is purely from time-varying B-field, like electromagnetic waves, in a charge free zone. The same reasoning can be applied to B-field. So every E-field (or B-field) in Maxwell's equations are the same.

Could you tell me whether or not I'm right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the electric field ## E ## in Gauss's law ## \nabla \cdot E=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_o } ## is the same one that appears in Faraday's ## \nabla \times E =- \frac{\partial{B}}{\partial{t}} ##. In electrostatic problems, you only need the Gauss's law equation to solve for ## E ##, and in some simpler problems with a changing magnetic field ## B ##, you only need Faraday's law to solve for ## E ## and/or the EMF ## \mathcal{E} ##. The whole set of Maxwell's equation ties the ## E ## and ## B ## together, and in the more complex cases, you may need all of the equations to solve for the ## E ## and ## B ##.

Likes goodphy
Charles Link said:
Yes, the electric field ## E ## in Gauss's law ## \nabla \cdot E=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_o } ## is the same one that appears in Faraday's ## \nabla \times E =- \frac{\partial{B}}{\partial{t}} ##. In electrostatic problems, you only need the Gauss's law equation to solve for ## E ##, and in some simpler problems with a changing magnetic field ## B ##, you only need Faraday's law to solve for ## E ## and/or the EMF ## \mathcal{E} ##. The whole set of Maxwell's equation ties the ## E ## and ## B ## together, and in the more complex cases, you may need all of the equations to solve for the ## E ## and ## B ##.

Thanks for replying very quick comment!

So, E or B-fields in Maxwell's equations are all the same one, in fact.

Could you help me a little bit more? I actually want to derive that RHS of [tex]\nabla \cdot E = \frac{\rho }{{{\varepsilon _0}}}[/tex] is zero when E-field here is E-field accompanied with time-varying B-field in a charge free zone. Could you give me some help so I can get this obvious result?

When the right hand side is zero=in a charge free zone, that does not mean the ## E ## on the left hand side needs to be zero. (In the static case ## E ## will be zero, but not for cases where there is a time varying ## B ## field.) ## \nabla \cdot E=0 ## is basically a homogeneous differential equation, and there can and will be times where such a homogeneous solution results, and this equation along with the other Maxwell's equations will determine what that homogeneous solution is. As is the case with other homogeneous solutions, there are arbitrary constants and in this case even the entire solution can only be determined when the solution from the other Maxwell equations is applied. It will vary from case to case and there is no simple prescription to determine the solution. ## \\ ## Editing... For the case of ## \nabla \times E=0 ## everywhere (Faraday's law with no changing ## B ## field ), when you have ## \nabla \cdot E=0 ## everywhere as well, I believe the only solution is then that ## E=0 ## everywhere. (By standard methods, you would determine that the solution for the potential ## \Phi=constant ##, so that ## E=0 ## everywhere).

Last edited:
Likes goodphy
@goodphy I edited my previous response. Please read the latest updated version as well.

Likes goodphy

What are the four identities of fields in Maxwell's equations?

The four identities of fields in Maxwell's equations are Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law, and Ampere's law.

How do these identities relate to electric and magnetic fields?

Gauss's law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge, while Gauss's law for magnetism states that the magnetic flux through a closed surface is equal to zero. Faraday's law relates changes in magnetic flux to induced electric fields, and Ampere's law relates currents and changes in electric fields to magnetic fields.

Why are these identities important in understanding electromagnetism?

These identities form the foundation of Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They allow us to understand and predict how these fields interact with each other and with charged particles.

How are these identities used in practical applications?

Maxwell's equations and their identities are used in a wide range of practical applications, including communication systems, power generation and transmission, and medical imaging. They are also essential in the development of technologies such as satellite navigation, radar, and wireless charging.

Are there any limitations to these identities?

While Maxwell's equations and their identities are incredibly useful in understanding electromagnetism, they have limitations. They do not account for quantum effects, such as the behavior of particles at the atomic level, and cannot fully describe phenomena such as superconductivity. These limitations have led to the development of more complex and comprehensive theories, such as quantum electrodynamics.